THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You are absolutely right. I really want one, but don't think I need it. That is why I was trying to find some compelling reasons to justify the purchase.

Sounds like me. Love my FEC, but keep thinking of getting a Kamado Joe for the novelty. I don't need one, but I want one. If I do get one, don't know how often I'd use it. But I still want one...

I have a few friends that have the poopers. They both complain that they don't get enough smoky flavor, but their wife and kids are ok with them.

Purely a convenience thing. One less thing to think about while cooking. Takes the whole fire management right out of it.

I had a Rec Tec which served me well when my kids were in diapers and I couldn't spend the time with a fire. Great value and service. I got disillusioned with it (and all things electric while cooking) when I had a short because of wrap juices. Still a great cooker, just lost the love. Service had me the parts in no time. I was up and going fast, but after one more cook on it, I went back to coal and wood.

I found myself hoarding it but not using it. It was taking up space, so I gifted it to a friend and his sons. It's been smoking away ever since. I'm happy it gets good use.

If you want one for novelty, I'd look at the mini Rec Tec. Stores away small, priced reasonably, and can handle a fun little pellet cook when the mood strikes.

Bosco, when I bought my Primo XL I had just come from an Ace Harware demo days. They had brined pork loins and added rub to them the same way. One was cooked on a Trager and one on a BGE. I tasted both side by side and went back for several samples because they were that close as to be hard to distinguish. The smoke profiles were the same on both but I found the BGE loin a little moister, so that sent me to the ceramics. I think with the KK, you'd be eating your money on a pellet smoker - you've got the best already.

As a current GMG Daniel Boone owner and a former Louisiana Country Smoker owner if you really want one check out the Louisiana Country Smokers (Canadian Made). They have the ability to sear at 600° and smoke as low as 180°. I wore mine out, but I believe it was a much better rig than my GMG DB. A little CS 300 that is portable is similar to what I had because of its portability. I would take it camping with me and make ribs for the crew.

On the flip side, you won't out cook what you already have with a pellet pooper.

Yesterday we had such high winds there was no way I could cook on my charcoal or wood cookers safely but with my pellet unit cooking was easy and safe. Point for the pellet cooker.

I use my Rec Tec mostly for convenience when I don't have the time to babysit my stick burner. I sometimes use it in conjunction with my Lang, like cooking pork butt for about 4 hours or so on the Lang for the smoke, then put it on the Rec Tec to finish. That gives me the time to do other things.

Rec Tec has a 6 year warranty which sold me. In 2 years I had a fan go out and the lcd readout started to burn out, in both cases I had replacement parts in a couple days, no questions asked. great service.

Only complaint, in the winter here, which of course is only in the 50's, it sometimes has trouble getting up to temp. Don't know how it would do up north or it could be a factor in any pellet smoker, don't know.

I'm a lazy SOB, but love to smoke everything so I bought a GMG Jim Bowie when they had their black friday sale. I've used it more since then than I used my Backwoods for the entire year. That right there makes it worth the money to me. Granted, I don't get as heavy a smoke flavor as I would on a stick burner or Green Egg, but personally that's OK with me. I love the fact that if I want to grill/smoke some chicken on a Tuesday night after work, I can.

+1 for the convenience factor. I had an fec-100.

Super efficient, super easy to use, smokes in a blizzard, no issues.

Cons: Without adding secondary smoke source your large cuts come out like roast. Different brand pellets made little difference for me. I used an amzn tube thing in it but airflow inside always caused it to go out. I had two cookshack mods that added a firebox extension that allowed me to add wood chunks. That did help but nearly caused a fire, more than once.

I dont know much about other pellet poopers but Ive seen traegers up close and I can tell they are made in China. My 2c.

Pellet smokers are really great for their ease of use. Like an oven. I sold mine.

Look into MAK grills. Definitely more expensive, but IMO it's better to just cry once and buy quality. I had a Traeger for about a year and got rid of it. The legs were flimsy, flame always went out in the middle of cooks, and you could just tell it was made in China. If your budget is $1000 or less, look into Rec Tec.

Like any smoker, you have to learn how to use it properly to get your best results. There is a learning curve to using pellet smokers and each pellet smoker is a little bit different. I have use an FEC-100 for competing and have also competed with a Yoder and the small GMG for chicken. I have absolutely no problem getting good smoke flavor with a pellet cooker.

The key is that you need to start at a lower temp and have it in the smoke for a longer time. For instance, I cook my butts at 180 for six hours before wrapping and upping the temp to 285 (this is with the FEC). The temp and time varies when I use a Yoder. But once you find the sweet spot, they will produce excellent bbq.

They are also very easy to use, have less clean-up and mess than with charcoal/wood and you have more consistent results. I have 15 smokers and the only one I would not get rid of is the FEC.

I would take a good quality Pellet grill or smoker over a Kamado any day. I have owned a Shirley, Deep South, Humphrey's, Pitmaker, BGE, Yoder YS480, 640, 1500, GMG DBoone, FireCraft Pellet Grill, FEC 100 & 120, Weber Kettle and PK Grill. If I had to choose one, it would be the Yoder YS480 with the PK Grill being a close 2nd, and Shirley being 3rd.

I recently cooked brisket for 400 warehouse workers in Memphis using both FEC 100 & 120. Not one single person complained that there was not enough smoke flavor. I didn't use a nasty smoldering smoke tube either. They are begging me to consider cooking for their summer Employee Picnic and their Holiday Party. Like I said, no one complained about the lack of smoke, and Memphis is not an easy town to impress with Que.

I just don't have the space in my back yard for chord(s) of wood, so I just purchased a Yoder 640 with the second shelf...first batch of chicken (first cook on it) the leg bones slid out of the leg quarter when I pulled it. Can't wait to try some beef ribs and a brisket! Love it so far!

I love my Yoder YS640. I came from a stick burner. It came to the point that I stopped cooking on the stick burner because of the time involved. I now cook at least every weekend with the Yoder. I think the food that comes off the Yoder is every bit as good as what came off the stick burner. The Yoders seem to make a lot of smoke and the only time I use a smoke tube is if I am cooking at a high temperature. Such as cooking chicken to get a crisp skin.

I tried it and just wasn't my cup of tea.
Good....It is convenient
Bad....never really got a good smoke flavor, even with a tube....used a lot of high dollar pellets....not good at searing. jmo

My wife says I'm cheating since I started using Traegers. :-D . I can put the big meats on at night and sleep. The food is consistently good. I am much more likely now to cook briskets and shoulders. The Traeger also does a great job on ribs and chicken. I highly recommend pellet grills.

I have the GMG Daniel Boone on the patio and a GMG Davy Crockett for the motorhome.
Highly recommend the GMG line of pellet grills. Got my first one about 4 years ago and find that I can cook/smoke almost anything on it. Use it year round about 3 or 4 times a week.

The GMG line is a great bank for the buck. As stated previously, the ease of use and the great food they produce makes a pellet grill a must in my book.

Back