My custom vertical off-set build Thread!!

I'm not talking about up and down movement. I mean that from the looks of it you will not be able to slide the racks out without holding onto them. All it takes to captivate them is a short piece of angle on each side out toward the front.

Oh I see! That's one thing that never crossed our minds. I'm sure if it becomes annoying then I'll have that fixed or fix it when we add extra slides.

It looks really good!!!!

Fire that mother UP!!!

Here's another picture! More pictures to come Monday during seasoning and when the weather breaks!

IMG_1216_zpsj1lkefbo.jpg

What type of paint did you use?

Great job, you may have posted it already but what is the overall dims and rack sizes?

What type of paint did you use?

I used the Rustolium High Heat BBQ paint.

Great job, you may have posted it already but what is the overall dims and rack sizes?

The cook chamber box is 24wx24dx36h. each rack is a little under 24x24 square (don't remember exact measurement on that). The space in between each rack is 7 inches. Firebox is 20x20x20. The exhaust is a 6x6x6 square exhaust.

Man its just rockin! I throw a piece of wood every so often and it goes. I'm not running a water pan during the seasoning process. I opened the door once and all racks read 325. thermometer on the smoker is reading 275-300. I'm not sure why but I'll wait to pass judgement when I run a water pan.

This smoker is awesome! I've got a real nice coal bed. temps have been stable all day. thermometer has been running 275-300 the whole day. Looks like Its time to move on to a new "cook thread"

This smoker is awesome! I've got a real nice coal bed. temps have been stable all day. thermometer has been running 275-300 the whole day. Looks like Its time to move on to a new "cook thread"

Yessir it's time to be cooking that fattie.

You and your buddy did well, hope you supplied some beers

So I've decided to bump the thread one time, to give some thoughts on the smoker!

This smoker is great, good air flow, good cooking. There are a few minor things that need fixed. The swivel caster wheels rub on the cart, not a big deal it barely moves 10 ft when I cook on it.

Still have build whatever I need so I'm able to pull the grates out and they can stay open on their own. Right now I'm healing from a couple burns where I was moving food around without pulling the grates out.

I'm still learning the cooker, but I really like running drip pans on the bottom rack if nothings is cooking on that rack! Not so sure how much food will be cooked on the bottom rack.

Most fire's I've had so far, I've noticed that the airflow likes pushing flames into the cook chamber no matter the location of my fire. I'm not sure if that will cause problems with cooking on the bottom grate. Also getting some ash collecting on the bottom of the cook chamber. I assume that is normal. Can't help that if your burning with wood.

My final thoughts, The smoker was well worth the money I spent on it. I also mentioned I would post the cost of everything. I haven't taken my time to calculate but I know I have close to $1400 into it. I gave my buddy $300 for the build. The rest of it went in materials. We had left over expanded metal and part of the steel sheets.

So I've decided to bump the thread one time, to give some thoughts on the smoker!

This smoker is great, good air flow, good cooking. There are a few minor things that need fixed. The swivel caster wheels rub on the cart, not a big deal it barely moves 10 ft when I cook on it.

Still have build whatever I need so I'm able to pull the grates out and they can stay open on their own. Right now I'm healing from a couple burns where I was moving food around without pulling the grates out.

I'm still learning the cooker, but I really like running drip pans on the bottom rack if nothings is cooking on that rack! Not so sure how much food will be cooked on the bottom rack.

Most fire's I've had so far, I've noticed that the airflow likes pushing flames into the cook chamber no matter the location of my fire. I'm not sure if that will cause problems with cooking on the bottom grate. Also getting some ash collecting on the bottom of the cook chamber. I assume that is normal. Can't help that if your burning with wood.

My final thoughts, The smoker was well worth the money I spent on it. I also mentioned I would post the cost of everything. I haven't taken my time to calculate but I know I have close to $1400 into it. I gave my buddy $300 for the build. The rest of it went in materials. We had left over expanded metal and part of the steel sheets.

Surprised to hear about pushing flames into the cook chamber. I'm on track to build one like yours, a few changes though. I'm going have the bottom rack a little higher up. I will run it like you with the drip pans under the food if I'm not cooking much. With the size of the smoker, I don't think it will restrict the airflow.
Thanks for the updates, your food been looking great from your smoker.

Surprised to hear about pushing flames into the cook chamber. I'm on track to build one like yours, a few changes though. I'm going have the bottom rack a little higher up. I will run it like you with the drip pans under the food if I'm not cooking much. With the size of the smoker, I don't think it will restrict the airflow.
Thanks for the updates, your food been looking great from your smoker.

Are you adding tuning plates? I should of made tuning plates but I have a cook planned tomorrow. I plan on trying using two pans on the bottom rack. We'll see if it restricts air flow or not. I think it'll be fine. I would like to just get even temps on the upper 3 racks at least.

I know nothing about it but I believe my baffle should of been angled down towards the bottom of the cook chamber a bit more. It seems to be pushing the heat towards the far wall instead of bouncing off the bottom causing even heat above.

To be honest I haven't really cared much about temps. I've just cooked on it. After seeing the differences in temps I've decided its not worth getting paranoid about. I just cook the food, check it once in a while make sure its not getting burnt or turning coal black or anything LOL.

I don't know if the fire shooting into the cook chamber is a bad thing. I think its just the cooker has good air flow. I figure its going to do that anyways due to the draft. I have built my fire closer to the door and it seems to happen anyways.

Not that I'm complaining about the smoker. I love it, and Its the best smoker I've ever cooked on! I'm still getting the hang of it, and its still going to take some experimenting to try to get even temps all around. That's part of the fun though!

So far I have shared everything I cooked on the new cooker with the guy that built it for me! He says that since cooking on the new cooker my food quality has increased drastically! I believe it. There is very little to worry about. It seems to be like an oven with some smoke! The smoke flavor has never been over powering compared some of the stuff that came off my other cookers.

I have a feeling both the WSM and the brinkmann will be gone at some point. Don't have any interest in firing the WSM up for anything. I haven't even used charcoal in the new smoker. I'll split kindling and build a big fire. I won't put the food on until I have a good solid coal bed. Once this cooker has a good coal bed going its adding wood every 30-45 minutes.

Back