Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

Congrats, they're awesome. I would recommend doing a couple of dry runs to get a feel for the temp control. Follow the instructions, they'll get you close.

Nice. I like the cart, but got mine a year before they came out...

Longest 7 - 10 days of your life. Picking it up or having it shipped?

Well I guess there will be two happy people in a week or two

Yes there will be........ Getting it in time for a nice Disabled Vets and Abused Women's shelter cook. Should have a couple weekends or so to play before the cooks.

Well that's a good deal. Always good to help people.

I love volunteering for these benefits. It makes a difference in many ways. Looks on some faces and you know your doing good. Like I always say. Try to leave this world a better place, than what you came into. And actually is why I purchased it.

I was going to go smaller. And use my other cookers in combination. But, when thinking more about it. Made more sense to do this and my other cookers. When I did cooks before I precooked a lot and used warmers. This solves problems, and makes things much easier. Only thing is I have to find more of a all terrain caster for it. Then I'll be set.....

Gentlemen I applaud each and everyone of you -- and thank you.
After reading through this complete thread....
And seeing the changes that have been made to the smoker throughout the years
Because of this thread...
I now believe in a few weeks I will be receiving...
The Perfect Smoker !!!

LSG in BBQ island

Whew. Just finished 140 pages, and have now joined the forum so I can ask some of my own questions (the vast, vast majority of which have been answered already, along with 82 questions I didn't know I had!).

This thread is, quite seriously, the single greatest resource I've ever seen in one place about a single product line. From LSG's perspective I can't imagine a better sales vehicle than this thread, which is pretty easy to stumble across when searching for a new smoker. They've "paid" for it in good service and good product it sounds like, so: well deserved.

Here's my background: I started this 140-page reading adventure because we're redoing our outdoor island and I want to move from one grill (a Memphis pellet fed) that did two things passingly well (go low/slow when feeding pellets slowly; scorch when feeding pellets at a full clip) to two units that each do their special thing superbly. And LSG vertical is the leading contender for the smoker side of that equation.

So, two things:

1) I'd love to see are any pictures from folks who have installed their smoker in a BBQ island set-up and hear any tips on that. I have seen one such photo in the FB group. (Link below if it works.) It looks like in that photo the owner had the ball valve run forward so it could be accessible from the front. Tips like that would be great.

Here's a direct link. It looks like it is from a contractor, Ryan Trudeau, who does a lot of nice work generally: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1197918906984232&set=g.551380464971244&type=1&theater.

2) How does the LSG do in occasional direct downpour? My set-up would have the smoker out in the elements, without a roof over her head. I'd put a cover on during the rainy season, but sometimes that sneaks up on you and you get drenched before you can bring the cushions in and batten down the hatches. Any rust problems from folks in a similar situation? Anyone install something like a "doghouse" over the top outlets to prevent water from getting in but let smoke still get out?

Thanks!

hi all. i'm curious about start-up procedures and time.

does is preheating with a weed burner make things markedly easier/faster? without preheating about how long does it take before you're ready to cook; how much does this differ between the mini & the full size?

thanks.

does is preheating with a weed burner make things markedly easier/faster? without preheating about how long does it take before you're ready to cook; how much does this differ between the mini & the full size?

thanks.

Preheating with a weed burner or Cajun Dragon speeds up the process considerably. Especially if you do not use a blower like on a Guru or Flame Boss. The preheating is not such an issue in the summer for me as my mini sits out in the sun. It is at 130-140 in the afternoon without even having a fire in it. If you are not using a blower/controller on a 20 degree day you are looking at close to two hours waiting for the pit to come to temp.

Now with that said I do use a blower/controller on 95% of my cooks. I fill the firebox mostly full with charcoal and smoking wood leaving the corner nearest the intake open for about 1/3 of a chimney of charcoal. I get the charcoal lit up and dump it in the corner. Close up the pit and turn my controller on. It takes about 20-30 minutes to get to temp with the big 25 CFM Guru fan. I do let it run another 15 minutes or so to clean up the smoke before putting meat on.

My IVS is the mini. I can't speak about the standard but it is nearly double the size so it would take longer to heat up more metal.

thanks.

I have a large lsg and like cheez, I use the large guru fan on mine. I'll snake some briquettes in the firebox along with my smoke wood. Instead of using a chimney I just take the weed burner to the coals closest to the vent and hit it for about 45-60 seconds. They are nice and glowing by then and all I do is close it up and make sure the vent valve is wide open and the top damper is wide open. I always just wait an hour before I toss meat on the smoker. That gives the guru plenty of time to warm up the smoker and to get a nice clean smoke flowing. The one thing I do like to do is close the vent valve the guru is on down to about 1/3 open and the top about 1/3 open once the meat is on. I have had issues with the smoker wanting to stabilize at about 275-300 if I do not do that. It seems to pull its own draft through the fan otherwise. With them closed down the guru keeps it at 225 or what ever temp you set it at.

I suspect you could get it going faster but I am never in that much of a rush.

Back