What would you score this chicken box?

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_5729.jpg
    IMG_5729.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 541
9.7, needs more moisture on the meat.

I don't understand this comment, the thighs look moist and appetizing, maybe a bit irregular in shape but that doesn't detract from my score. I would give it a 8-9 in person.

• Thanks
Reactions: DR
I'd go with an 8. Could look more moist. Light sauce, spritz, etc.

I'm with JT. It looks great. Maybe a spritz with some water right before closing the lid. But it looks great.

I'd give it a 7. I'd like more symmetry and a bit more shine.

Appearance scores this weekend for that box......6,6,7,8,8,9

I know I need to work on the shaping a little more, but did it really deserve two 6's?

I did set my thinned sauce for about 5 minutes. Maybe next time I won't set the sauce so I can keep the sauce shiny or just spritz it with some water.

Thanks for the input. I take criticism well. Just want to figure this out.

I just don't see how thats below a 7. Pieces are really close to uniform. Sauce is very even and not gloppy at all. Its a nice even box. Maybe a little bit more shine but nothing too extreme. Just don't see a 6 or a 7 for this box.

As others have said, maybe a bit more shine. Shapes aren't exactly the same, but not crazy bad. I'd go 8

Appearance scores this weekend for that box......6,6,7,8,8,9

I know I need to work on the shaping a little more, but did it really deserve two 6's?
Maybe not, but I don't think it deserved the 2 8s and a 9 either.

In KCBS scoring, 6 is average. You've got 6 thighs in a box, which is pretty much what everyone else is doing, they aren't particularly uniform, and there's really no "wow" factor to them as far as color, shine, or anything else. I would have scored them a 7.

The 6's seem a bit harsh, but this is looking at the box before turn-in. It is possible that it got scrambled on the way to the judges table. Was this an overall low scoring table?

Yes it was a low scoring table the highest scoring team placed 77th in chicken. We were ranked 3rd for the table.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Figured out I need more shine for sure.

As for the uniform shape, I have worked really hard on trimming chicken. My brother in law and I spent over 2 hours trimming chicken before the comp. Even when I think they all look about the same and have wrapped the skins around them, form them in the pan, they still change a little after cooking.

Is there a trick I'm missing? We remove the skins completely, trim the chicken/fat from skin, shape the chicken, wrap the skins, and form 9 pieces each in two half sheet pans. Guess I just need more practice on shaping the chicken.

Last year at the same comp we got a call on chicken. We trimmed but didn't really shape the chicken too much. The only thing we were knocked on was our presentation so I've been working hard to improve it, but seems I have taken a step backwards.

Maybe not, but I don't think it deserved the 2 8s and a 9 either.

In KCBS scoring, 6 is average. You've got 6 thighs in a box, which is pretty much what everyone else is doing, they aren't particularly uniform, and there's really no "wow" factor to them as far as color, shine, or anything else. I would have scored them a 7.

Damn, did you judge in Ypsilanti, MI last weekend?

• Thanks
Reactions: DR
Back