Plastic in Kingsford Blue Bag Briquette?

bs617

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I have used various types of charcoals, however I have used KBB more than anything else based on availability, cost, etc. I know it is not natural or marketed as such, however I have never really been concerned with the safety of using it (right or wrong). That is until today, when I was preparing my grill and noticed something red in one of the briquettes, which appear to be red melted plastic (see picture) and not something I want my food cooking over. Any thoughts, similar experiences or recommendation to other charcoals that may be safer, but with a similar temp and burn profile as KBB?

Attachments

• WP_20140916_001.jpg
    WP_20140916_001.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 237
I use KBB for hot fast cooks. Stubbs for smoking. I don't mind KBB hot because once red hot the chemical smell goes away. BUT, I swore one day when lighting KBB I smelled something like burning plastic. You observation makes me wonder as well what's going into those briquettes!

It looks like something dripped on it somewhere along the way or did you break it apart

It looks like something dripped on it somewhere along the way or did you break it apart
It was broken already, probably because the plastic was imbedded and cause a weak point. It may be hard to tell but the plastic is embedded and not just on the surface.

Not sure if we can condemn a manufacturer over 1 bricket though..

Don't sweat the small stuff. Like you said, you have used it for years with no issues. I can't count how many pounds I go through a year and have never had a problem.
Isolated incident.

Back