THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aks801

is Blowin Smoke!
I have been using the HNF method in my WSM for some time now for briskets, with no water in the pan (just a wrapped clay saucer). Out of curiosity more than anything else, on Saturday I decided to actually use water in the pan and to cook at a lower target temperature.

Seasoned a Choice 12# trimmed weight brisket with SPOG and put it on about 9 AM. Water pan was full of hot water. Had a packed out ring of KBB, and used the "coffee can in the middle" Minion method, with 3 or 4 nice chunks of Hickory. The WSM seemed to settle in between 250 and 265, which was fine by me.

One thing I encountered was that the temps started crashing in the early afternoon. That seemed strange, as the 22" WSM is supposed to go many hours on a full ring of fuels. I ended up adding about 15 briquettes and then about 15 additional lit. Had to give it all a good stir a few times during the course of the afternoon. Also, opened up the bottom vents from mostly closed to at least halfway open. My take on all of that is that the 22" just doesn't like to run in the lower temps. Another factor might be to use a different charcoal, maybe something that doesn't ash over so much. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I wrapped it in butcher paper at about 3:00 and took it off at about 6:30 or so. It probed pretty well (a few resistant spots) and average temps were 203-ish. I let it sit on the counter unwrapped for about 20 minutes, then wrapped it tight in foil for about 45 minutes.

Results? A nice moist brisket all the way through, even in the flat! Good flavor profile, although I had used pure ground black pepper in the SPOG instead of my customary coarse ground, and I didn't like that quite as much. Problem: it just wouldn't slice. In other words, had to shred and chop. I have always heard that if it is moist and won't slice then it was over-cooked. What I am thinking is that it was not overcooked in the smoker; rather, I foil wrapped it on the counter when it was still too hot and that effectively was the reason it "over-cooked". I probably won't do that again.

So, I think next time I may keep it in the same target temp range, use water, and open up the bottom vents some before the charcoals go so dormant. Also, will either not wrap the brisket on the counter, or let it cool down much more and then wrap it for a few hours in a faux cambro.

I just recently started venting my briskets until it cools down to 170 and then re-wrap in BP and a towel. Makes all the difference in the world. I only use foil for the rare shoulder butt.

My last brisket went to 208F before I woke up at 4am and pulled it. Yeah, it was a rough night with the kids and I just completely ignored my alarm. It still sliced well though after sitting in my Carlisle for 6 hours.

With foil wrapping to hold I've learned that I have to know how the brisket came off the cooker. If it feels really "loose" I don't like to wrap in foil until temps have gone down at least 20 degrees and sometimes I just let it vent for an hour and slice. This is normally when I have forgotten to check the meat or have a bunch of briskets at once. Does anybody know if an electric knife helps with overcooked brisket?

If I think it's a little tight I will wrap in foil almost immediately. Sometimes it'll go into a 170 degree oven.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

With foil wrapping to hold I've learned that I have to know how the brisket came off the cooker. If it feels really "loose" I don't like to wrap in foil until temps have gone down at least 20 degrees and sometimes I just let it vent for an hour and slice. This is normally when I have forgotten to check the meat or have a bunch of briskets at once. Does anybody know if an electric knife helps with overcooked brisket?

If I think it's a little tight I will wrap in foil almost immediately. Sometimes it'll go into a 170 degree oven.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If you're trying to get slices out of over cooked BBQ an electric knife is definitely the answer. I stopped using the electric knife once I found the serated knife that Franklin recommends. It works well but the electric knife works better than anything else that I've found.

Funny how that fire went out so quickly. I loaded mine with KBB this weekend for a couple of butts, used lighter fluid, and didn't put the meat on until all the cruddy smoke was gone. You would think that method would burn out faster than the minion method. Put the meat on at 7:45 AM, wrapped at 12:45, took the meat off at 4:00, and had PLENTY of fuel left. Shut all the vents down, and the next morning there were enough unburned coals left to fill up a standard chimney.

I have recently had Weber briquetts last 11 hours @ 250° and there was still about a quarter of the charcoal still unburned in a WSM 22.5" . I highly recommend the Weber briquetts.

I’ve done multiple 12+ hour overnighters in my 22” WSM using KBB. I also use water in the pan and typically run my briskets around 240. If it’s windy or a little chilly I will wrap with a welding blanket which I think might help in fuel conservation. Only once have I had to add coal and that was a stubborn butt around 15 hours and it was more of a precaution than a necessity.

I know on mine I got to kick the wheels so to speak to get rid of the ash thats choking it, temp bounces right up again after abusing it

In my experience, KBB isnt the best for long cooks as it burns fast and ashes over and chokes the fire down. Weber and Stubbs are much better in this regard, they are a more solid charcoal, burn longer, and dont ash as much. Just my two cents.

Back