THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chris_todd

Found some matches.
So I'm still new to smoking, and to this site, so be gentle as this is my first real post.

I have 18.5" and 22.5" WSMs with DigiQ DX2s with 10 cfm fans, and have always used Kingsford Blue. However, I was at Restaurant Depot a few weeks ago, and picked up some Royal Oak lump. I'm doing a full competition practice for a friend's 4th of July party this weekend, and am wondering:

What do I need to know about the differences between Kingsford Blue and Royal Oak lump in my WSMs? Should I use the same quantities? Should expect consistently hotter or colder temps for the same quantity of charcoal? Do I need to start with more unlit lump because it burns hotter? I light my Kingsford using a normal chimney starter, may I assume I can do the same for the lump?

I should note I usually use the so-called "Minion" method of fueling my WSMs, where I almost fill the ring with unlit briquettes, and then dump in either a full or half full chimney of hot coals in the center, depending on the temp I'm trying to achieve and the duration of the cook.

I have read some conflicting information on the interwebs, but the general consensus I have gathered is that lump burns hotter and with less ash. I have always had problems in my WSMs with the temps dropping late in a cook (especially with the 22, which seems to be quite the fuel hog, though that also seems well documented on the web), and I have wondered whether some of that is due to the ash buildup on the Kingsford briquettes preventing them from burning well, though I'm really not sure.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me. I don't want to ruin my friend's 4th of July party and put out lousy BBQ because I tried something different and was unprepared for the differences. (And yes, if I was really concerned I would just stick with what I know, and "practice" with lump some other time, but frankly, I don't get many opportunities to do a full comp practice, so my friend's party guests will be guinea pigs, LOL).

Chris

You're right lump definitely burns hotter. I prefer it over standard charcoal. Some charcoals have fillers like cornstarch that contribute to ash. You could always do a mixture of both, light a little kingsford but use the lump for the unlit portion.

I made the switch from KBB to lump a few months ago in my WSM and haven't looked back. I use about the same amount of lump as I did briquettes but you have to make sure you shake the fire ring full of lump around so it compacts together. I didn't do that once and actually didn't have enough lump in there to start with, but I had problems with temps and burnt all the lump up a lot quicker. I also used about a half a chimney starter full of lump to start it minion style and that would get me to 275 fairly quick, never noticed a huge difference it running much hotter. Hope that helps some. Good luck

Lump does burn hotter, but when given full air to create red hot coals. Lump is much more responsive to air adjustments, meaning you can make it rise and fall with more control. The biggest difference when using in the WSM it to pack it it tight. If loose, it will burn apart and not keep igniting the other pieces like briquets do. Don't be afraid to fill 'er up. When done, just close up and save all that is left.

Yep. Pack that lump in as tight as you can with as few air gaps as possible. Can't stress enough how important that is. Gotta restrict how much air gets to the lump.
Use the Minion method to light it.
Nice thing about WSMs is that you can control the temp real easily. Meaning even if lump burns hotter, restrict the airflow and it won't burn as hot. Easy peasy.
Oh, and mix 3 or 4 fist sized pieces of smoke wood in with the lump. You'll be golden.

I use either, if ikingsford is fully warmed up its fine, just gota know the fire

I use either, if ikingsford is fully warmed up its fine, just gota know the fire

No it's not fine.

I can walk into a comp and smell the smoke and tell if Anyone is using Kingsford. Went to Memphis in May once and the place reeked of the stench. The first Smoke on the Water competition held in Hot Springs, AR was remarkably without the Kingsford stench. Heaven on earth aromas.

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'm not sure I would have guessed to pack the lump tightly, but that makes a lot of sense now that you mention it.

I'll let you know how it goes.

The second grate turned the opposite way is a good idea. Lots of small pieces may fall through if u just have one grate. I haven't got to use my wsm yet but I think im gonna try using stubbs briquettes on the bottom and use lump to pour on top. I also like lump a lot better but until I get a second charcoal grate I will use briquettes on the bottom. If one of my grates fits from my Brinkmann though I can use all lump. Now im thinking lump all the way. Can't wait to get home from work to see if my Brinkman grates fit.

IF you want to spend the time to tightly pack the lump and want to add another grate cross crossed to keep small pieces from falling thru, then it works fine. I went back to briquettes because what you really taste in your food is your wood selection, not the coal. I save lump for steak and burger cooks where I am looking for higher heat.

Back