Help me figure out what smoker to buy next

chicken

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I have been smoking on a Cookshack Amerique for nearly the last 10 years. The thing has been rock solid and I get decent pork butt and ribs out of it. I could never cook a brisket though to save my a** in it. I bought a XL BGE about 4 years ago for grilling and figured one day two years I would try a brisket in it for s**ts and giggles. The thing came out amazing! Since then I have been doing my pork in the Cookshack and brisket in the BGE. Well this weekend I needed to cook a pair of pork butts for a friends party and I figured let's try them on the BGE.

Wow I did not realize how much better it could have tasted compared to the Cookshack. The smoker flavor penetrated a lot deeper, was considerably more moist and the smoke flavor just seemed to taste cleaner. It was the same pork I always buy, same rub and same smoke wood. Only difference was electric vs charcoal. Now I am thinking I should sell my Cookshack and buy a new smoker. The BGE is great but it just does not have the capacity of the Cookshack. I really like the Cookshack for ease of use but the flavor was just so much better on the Egg. I have a cyberq now so it's not like the egg is that much harder once the fires going.

So any recommendations on what smoker I should buy? Here are my requirements/wish list

* no budget per say. I want this to be the last smoker I buy
* size needs to handle at least 4 pork butts and 2 full briskets but larger would be great
* would be great to have one large enough to do a whole hog. Never cooked one but we have enough parties where it would be great to have the ability to do it.
* needs to be a insulated smoker of some type. I work a lot of hours and have a 3 & 5 year old so I cannot be up all night tending a standard offset stick burner. That's what I love about the Cookshack and BGE with the CyberQ. I load them up and they run until the food is done mostly unattended. I also like smoking during the winter. Hopefully I could run at least 16-18 hours on a full load.
* I suspect I need a charcoal based setup as I live just outside of San Francisco and it's would be tough to find various type of stick wood here. Lump coal is easy though to find
* needs to work with the cyberq as per above reasons.

Any other things I should be looking for? Any pointers are greatly appreciated! Thanks Chris.

If you really love the bge and simply want more capacity, get another egg.

I would agree with the above but since you want the capacity to do a whole hog, I would say backwoods or those types of smokers (humphreys I think has a big one too)

I saw a pic of a small pig on the Egg Meadowcreek makes a cabinet smoker like Backwoods I do large pork butts on my Large BGE Prob could do 4 on a extra large

Backwoods makes the Piglet for small hogs but they start at $4k.

I had a Cookshack for 12 years. Gave it to my neighbor 4 years ago....still working like new. Those things are like tanks.

Definitely look into a Humphrey's, they are amazing. Contact "Smokinit", Kevin Rundell, he'll be able to answer all your questions and will never lead you astray. He even has a page in the sales section, Northeast Professional BBQ. He's always accessable and I don't think there's anything about the humphrey's that he can't answer. I have one and love my Downeast beast, so much so, I am buying another one along with the pint my buddy is selling.

Before looking at anyone else's posts, i thought insulated cabinet.

LoneStarGrillz, Pitmaker, Humphrey's all are great.

I would automatically say LSG, but since you are in Cali, I would call Kat. He makes a great product.

Another vote for Humphreys, I love my DEB, but lsg and pitmaker are both equally good as well.

Had anybody cooked a whole hog in the cookers listed so far?

You have KAT BBQ Smokers in Modesto and they build custom Pits give them a call and tell what you are looking for. The owner is a quality guy who makes quality Pits and they are also almost in your backyard.

I just went threw EXACTLY what you are... Wanted a set it and forget it smoker and wanted good capacity and wanted it to be the last one I buy (for the most part)

LOOK NO FURTHER!!

Read this LONG thread and you'll do what I just did and most of us did.... After all the research I truly believe an LGS Insulated Vertical Cabinet is what you need.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185024

http://www.lonestargrillz.com/Insulated-Smokers.html

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233424

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPS4sRDfMeI[/ame]

It is on my list. I think I can get a small pig racer style in my LSG diagonally.

Im pretty sure Ive seen somebody on here do a small pig racer style in one of the bigger LSG vertical offsets which I think is comparable to their large insulated size wise. I fully intend on trying once I get mine :grin:

There was a guy who did a small whole hog on a WSM........

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WSJv_0Liy90[/ame]

Back