Just some Wings on my 007ish Frankin barrel

ebijack

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
This is the first time I have tried this.
Marinated the wings over night in Frank's red hot, drained, pat dry, slathered with mayo, light dusting of my dry rub.
Light the fire, only takes not even 3 minutes to get going. Put em on.

Averaging 250 degrees for 25 minutes, I didn't want nuclear temps for this test. Time to flip.

After the flip

Temping from 202 to 210 degrees. at 50 minutes and not burnt at all.

Results: excellent! Juicy, tender, fall off the bone. The Franks really comes thru!
The mayo had the skin wanting to stick more than normal to the grate and fall off the meat but I can deal with that. Just a slight different taste to the skin, actually better. NO BBQ sauce this time.
The wife and neighbor both agreed, these were the best wings so far out of the piles I have cooked over the years on many different cookers. Except maybe frying.
Thanks for lookin.

Nice wing/drum cook Tom! It does cook them amazing this way...no real way to burn them at that distance and always the perfect skin. The infra red energy you get off that fire is like it's own special ingredient. If I don't do them in the roti basket then they're going on the swivel grate with the lid on...doesn't get any better for sure.

Cooking at 250* and still get crispy skin. :doh:
Cook bird to 200+ IT degs and still be juicy and tender :boom:
:biggrin:

Here is the temps from the drums from my last TD

Last edited:
Cooking at 250* and still get crispy skin. :doh:
Cook bird to 200+ IT degs and still be juicy and tender :boom:
:biggrin:

I cook wings, legs and thighs to 200+ all the time and they are always juicy and tender.

Yea those look absolutely killer, this makes me want to schedule a wing/drummie cook!

Back