What's your favorite cheese for pizza?

Norm

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Moose posted some awesome pictures of his Blackstone pizzas a couple of days ago so now I'm craving pizza myself. I usually just use mozzarella but wondered if I'm in a rut and should be trying other kinds or even a mixture of different cheese's. What does everyone else use on theirs?

Really depends on what you like as far as taste and texture, Norm.

For traditional pies, I used to use whole milk mozzarella, but it didn't have the "pull" I like that I get from part skim Mozz, so that's what I've been using for the past few years. I've noticed the taste and texture profile varies considerably with different mozzarella brands, as with any cheese. Turns out the house brand they sell at the local Smart & Final stores has both the best taste and texture of many part skim mozzarellas we've tried, and it's way cheaper. Go figure...

Sometimes for traditional pies, I'll add a bit of provolone, otherwise, I try to keep it simple.

For authentic Neapolitan pies, I'll use fresh(Buffalo) mozzarella.

I mostly use mozzarella for the bulk of the cheese, I will add ricotta, parmesan or another form of grated cheese for accent. I am not a cheddar or jack guy on pizza.

I do a 50/50 mix of freshly grated mozzarella and Monterey jack.

My normal blend is about 40% Asiago, 40% low moisture mozzarella, and 20% parm reggiano. All fresh grated. It's melts better.

Different types of pizza suggest different cheeses though. Wisconsin brick, Muenster, fresh mozz, etc all have their place.

For regular pies 50/50 while milk moz and provolone. Sometimes add a little cheddar under.
Detroit pies mozz and brick or white cheddar.

Most of the time we use a motz/prov blend from restaurant depot. But cheddar and a cheddar jack blend can sometimes be the topping.

Mozzarella and/or provel. I also enjoy parmesan and feta cheese, bleu cheese and similar types.

Motz, provo and sometimes a bit of smoked cheddddhaaa for garnish

In addition to the typical mozzarella mixes, we will quite often make them with a good bleu cheese.

My favorites are mozzarella and provolone. Smoked mozzarella if I have some made. :grin:

Here's the mix for tonight. Wish I had some Provolone but had to go with what was in the freezer.

i-4rZXStw-XL.jpg

Cupoto 00 flour balls.

i-sL5d3fn-XL.jpg

Really windy here, 30+ mph. Moved the blackstone into the best place out of the wind.

Cheese blend that I had in the freezer.

i-vvqqVrR-XL.jpg

It's just me and the dog and cat so I doubt anyone will complain. :)

i-cfdXGBf-XL.jpg

Back