Weber Charcoal Summit Thread

BBM,

Thanks for the full opinion! I am a slightly disappointed that the table surface isn't true 304 SS, but not the end of the world. After all, it's just a table top. Now I know I can get the magnetic holder for the BBQ guru.

Yes, I've seen this WSM jacket, but I don't think they make one for the 22.5", or at least I haven't seen it on their website.

BBM,

Thanks for the full opinion! I am a slightly disappointed that the table surface isn't true 304 SS, but not the end of the world. After all, it's just a table top. Now I know I can get the magnetic holder for the BBQ guru.

Yep. That was exactly what I discovered too. I'm not sure how I would have mounted the guru otherwise and now I can put it anywhere. The main thing is whatever Weber does to it helps with the rust. I let water sit on it for 2 day just to see what would happen and there was nothing.

Yes, I've seen this WSM jacket, but I don't think they make one for the 22.5", or at least I haven't seen it on their website.

You could probably rig something up with moving blankets. Has anybody tried that? I used to do that with my pellet grill and it helped dramatically. Probably want to keep it off the base where the coals are though.

Great thread and videos! I saw/sub'd to your YT channel just after you posted them. Thanks for all of them.

I originally struggled with the price of this thing... wow! I think I've come to the conclusion that it's not completely out of line. For me though, if I was going to drop that amount on a new cooker I'd be hard pressed not to jump on a YS640 with comp. cart. That's just me though.

Great vids and info. Much appreciated. My Weber Genesis Silver B is on its last season. Seriously contemplating replacing that and my WSM (I know, I know...but there are limits) with this beast. Maybe in a few months as more reviews roll in.

My first real grill after we got married was a Weber Genesis C. We moved and had to sell her because the new place didn't have Nat Gas hookups. It was hard to let her go even though I had started using charcoal much more frequently by then.

The buyer totally got it. He even asked me what her name was. (notice he didn't ask me IF she had a name.) I told her it was Jenny and he promised to take good care of her.

It's possible I get too attached to inanimate objects. haha.

50 hours of run time is pretty incredible. As another experiment it would be awesome to see a similar test with lump charcoal - particularly if the temperature doesn't see drastic spikes with lump like a kamado cooker. In any event this is great stuff!

50 hours of run time is pretty incredible. As another experiment it would be awesome to see a similar test with lump charcoal - particularly if the temperature doesn't see drastic spikes with lump like a kamado cooker. In any event this is great stuff!

Thanks for the comment. I totally agree about using lump. But then I got to think about it and was like "OK, which lump?" Should I do Royal Oak which most people have experience with or some sort of harder wood lump that will burn longer. And should I fill up the firebox all the way or just do one chimney and see how long it goes? And should I compare it to another grill or just run it solo? And should I cook while I'm doing it. Natural draft or temp controller. 225 or 275 degrees?

There were so many variables that I decided to just go with blue bag K and see how long it would go on one full load at 225 since. All that seemed like a good baseline to start with.

It would be interesting to see the time it would take to burn through an equal amount of lump charcoal on both the WSCG and a ceramic kamado. Maybe cook a pork shoulder on both, so they both have food load.

I would LOVE to do a comparison between a BGE and the Summit. I think I could actually do a fair side by side comparison between the pros and cons of each and make a pretty interesting video about it.

I just don't have a XL BGE to do with anymore.

I would LOVE to do a comparison between a BGE and the Summit. I think I could actually do a fair side by side comparison between the pros and cons of each and make a pretty interesting video about it.

This guy makes some good comments in regards to the cost issue.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GdhgQhEMBk"]Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Review / Comparison with Big Green Egg XL #Grillofalifetime - YouTube[/ame]

did you ever get to cook on it yet???

Yep. I was sick for almost 3 solid weeks and it took me out of commission. I'm still not back 100% but I'm feeling human enough to play around with my bbq toys. I cooked 4 strip steaks and a pizza this week.

There are still a few things I wish weber would have done differently but so far I love this grill. I really like the versatility of being able to raise or lower the charcoal grate so I can switch between kettle mode grilling and kamado mode for other stuff.

I'm working on the 20 pound brisket cook this week. Hopefully it will be ready to upload by this weekend.

Glad you back to feeling human again!

You possess the top of the line in ceramic cookers, do a side by side between the two just for fun! Throw a pork butt of the same size on each one at the same time and let'em roll!

Thanks for posting that video dadsr4!

Looking at both the BGE XL and the WSCG and getting my hands on both, the WSCG wins (if you take the emotion of owning a BGE out of it) hands down! No fire ring cracking, no base or lid cracking, a stainless gasket mounted on the lid (where it should be), lighter weight, easy to open and close lid, blah, blah, blah. You could go into made in the USA, top rate customer service, and several other reasons, but in the end after a ton of reading I think the WSCG is the better cooker between the two and if I decided to pull the trigger on that type of cooker, it will be the WSCG...

Cut the brisket in half and do a side by side cook/comparison especially the end results!

Cut the brisket in half and do a side by side cook/comparison especially the end results!

No no no! Buy 19 more briskets and cook 10 on each to have a reasonable sample size. :biggrin:

Back