Direct fire mayo slathered chicken***feel the radiance

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Someone asked how to get crispy skin smoking chicken. My answer; dont smoke it.

Direct fire bbq is a neglected form and the answer.

The akorn with the basket 1/4 full and no diffuser creates just enough distance to get the job done. The hot fire with the distance is the key, else you'd just be grillin.

It settled in 350-400 dome temp, i find it to be pretty accurate at those temps.

Simple prep. Mayo slather, ms dash lemon pepper, and a little Tony C's. I let it sit while the akorn came up to temp.

Starting skin down i flipped the thighs about every five minutes until the they look good and tempt 185 or so. I like dark meat cooked a little over.

No sides tonight, im getting fat and figured id go paleo.

The skin came out super crispy, gave a thud when you tapped it, but still was bite through tender.

The direct fire really adds flavor and texture to bbq chicken (thats what i call it).

So come on, let those birds get a sun tan :thumb:

"The hot fire fire with the distance is the key"

^^^^^^^^ This is right on! Reduces flare ups. Flip 3 times, 20 minute intervals (1 hour total) get me to a target temp of 172° - 182° which negates any red hemoglobin (looks like blood but isn't but try to tell your guests that). Perfect no nenes with great, consistent, crispy results!

My cooking method as well, wsm with nothing between the bird and coals. Haven't tried the mayo slather yet, but I keep hearing about it so I may try it this weekend. Good looking bird!

I must try this on my WSM. I can make really tasty chicken but the skin is never what I want.

Awesome looking chicken!

Re: Dieting,
I have been on a Low carb/high fat diet since May and love it.
My weight went from 232-192 in 4 months :eek:

I eat BBQ all the time (minus the starchy side dishes) and the weight keeps falling off.

Sorry for the hijack, just wanted to pass this on for you or anybody else looking to lose some weight :thumb:

I be vaguely familiar with the "thud" from the tap on the birds. Feel the radiance! :thumb:

I do this with chicken in my jimmy but I leave the holey diffuser in because I am too lazy to take it out. At temps over 400 the skin is pretty much always good but I don't mess around with flipping more than once...laziness again. I will have to try cooking them to a higher IT. Trailer Trash is right about people flipping out over the red spots.

Those seem to have turned out well, convergence heating worked great

Phabulous!
Last best chicken I made was at CharredApron's place last week.
Cooked it on the 18,5" WSM,highest grate,no deflector and the temp...I dunno...past the 350F...thermometer only goes to 350F.
Skin was all bubbling 'n stuPh and had it the "thud".

Have not done mayo chicken in a while good stuff I always good chicken direct witrh lunp- great flavor
BTW mayo chocolate cake is pretty good too

Looks great. I like to cook chicken on my kamado. Keep temp around 350. Gonna have to try the mayo slather tho.

I can smell that by just looking at the picture! I have to try the mayo thing. Always looking for new ideas

Give the mayo slather a go, it makes it tender and gives a great golden color. Ive used mayo for grilled cheese and same thing, great golden color.

Nice bird, around here chicken is only cooked direct, been that way for a LONG time. Except we usually do a couple hundred at a time :becky:

View attachment 116785

Back