A funny thing happened on the way to the Throw down.

dadsr4

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I was cooking beef ribs yesterday.
I setup the kettle with a snake, started some coals and went inside, trimmed the tallow off the ribs, then rubbed them with SPOG. I chose to use my back up kettle, because it hadn't gotten much use this summer. It's mounted on a wheeled cart, with locking casters.
An hour into the cook, I went to check the kettle temp and bumped the cart. It rolled to the edge of the patio and off the edge. In the tradition of buttered toast, it landed upside down.
There was the meat, under the charcoal, drip pan, and ash.
I scooped the meat into the drip pan, them scooped up the coals, wood chunks, and unlit charcoal into the kettle lid and dumped them into the other kettle against one side. Threw the grate on and slapped on the lid to preheat.
The ribs went inside and were scrubbed with a vegtable brush to get the ashes off. I then redid the rub.
Back out to the grill, the ribs went on, then I went back inside to clean out the greasy sink.
Hours later, I brought the ribs in, expecting to be using them for stew meat.
shortribs_zps8631a248.jpg

My wife said they were much better than any others I had cooked, that they reminded her of blackened cooking. The bark was excelent.
I got to thinking. I've seen people cook steaks on the coals. I guess it works for ribs, too.
The kettle will be pounded back out. Just another reason I don't deserve to own a ceramic cooker.

Great looking ribs, I'm glad you were able to salvage them....

Hope the kettle goes back into its original shape for you..

That reminds me of when I didn't level my grill, and didn't tighten up the ribolator correctly, and came out to find a rack of ribs in the coals just burning like crazy. Scooped 'em up, cut off the burnt part, re-rubbed. They were great! :noidea: The reason I can remember this is because it was 2 weeks ago. :doh:

Great looking ribs, I'm glad you were able to salvage them....

Hope the kettle goes back into its original shape for you..
It's on at least it's third resurrection. Leather mallet to the rescue.

Too funny. Glad you could save them. End product looks killer :hungry:

Looks like they turned out great! And everything up to the ribs turning out great part sounds like something I would have done. Lol

So since the wife said they were the better than others you had cooked is that gonna be your new cooking method, after one hour go out and kick the kettle off the patio. :laugh:

Couldn't tell their history by looking at them. They look as any I've seen!! My wife's favorite statement is "We can't have anything nice around here!" :tsk:

Nice save and ribs look great! I have never damaged a cooker but I bet I would kill a ceramic on the first cook. They just scare me. I'll stick to metal.

Nice save and ribs look great! I have never damaged a cooker but I bet I would kill a ceramic on the first cook. They just scare me. I'll stick to metal.
That particular kettle lost it's legs when it was picked up by the wind and slammed down while I was watching. The leg sockets are pushed in to the extent that I wouldn't dare trying to pound them back out.

I can't believe you weren't yelling "Farkity fark fark fark," or something else ... or did you leave that part out? :noidea:

Ribs look great BTW.

The pic would have had me fooled. Looks fantastic!
Glad it all worked out for you.

Back