Smoker Conundrum???

Whitewookie

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting an upright smoker. I'm a Weber guy so the WSM is of course the first thing that comes to mind.

Problem is, I'm not sure how often I'd use it, or if it would give me any advantage over just smoking on the Kettle.

I'm considering buying a less expensive upright to test the waters before dropping $300 on the WSM.

I'm considering either the Brinkman "Smoke - n - Grill", about $50, of the CharBroil Cabinet Smoker, about $80. Both at Wally world.

Any opinions on these two little cookers? I know the WSM is much better, I'm just looking at one of these as a test bed. I just don't want to waste my time and money if it isn't going to give me any useful info.

Any opinions are appreciated.

VR,
Harold

Don't get the smoke and grill... just don't. They are a nightmare to control temps on for a long cook since they have no draft control at all, and the kettle you have is already better, plus it's more versatile for grilling and searing.

I think the only thing you would gain going to a bullet smoker is more capacity, so ask yourself how much you want or need. A good compromise would be to add a middle section or extension to your kettle to make a mini WSM, lots of guys here have done it so look around. Then you can use the full grate to smoke with, probably good for 3 or maybe even 4 butts at once, not quite sure.

Build a UDS.....
There again... I might. Once I determine how much actual use I will get out of a smoker, and how big an advantage over the kettle for smoking it is...

I grill or something nearly every weekend and have been smoking more lately. That is what go me thinking about the smoker.

Actually a UDS is on the list with buying a WSM, if I get to that point.

VR,
Harold

There's several different stacker mods for just the kettle, as a possibility.....
Cajun Bandit & I think there are others......

If you get the WSM, you'll find yourself using it more often than you think. I have to hold back on how much I smoke because my wife and I can't eat it all. :)

Don't waste your time and money on the cheapie. No comparison between them other than a remote resemblance in shape...

Agreed no comparison between wsm and a cheapie. If your handy a uds will be cheaper. Both are good uprights

Well there isn't any banking coal so you're using all the cooking grate area, plus you're cooking over the coals so you have extra flavor of drippings flashing in the fire. Cooking from the top gives a grilling from a distance effect...the caramelization will give you better texture then you get from smoking on the kettle.

You'll use the smoker much more than you think because of the way it cooks so go ahead and make one. I used to smoke on my kettle so I know where you're coming from.

Might wanna look at the Big Poppa kit set up also because it's set up a little different and is made to also set up like a grill but you can still indirect cook also with that setup besides the normal UDS function.

would give me any advantage over just smoking on the Kettle.
I will attempt to answer and offer my opinion on the above question. About the only advantage over the kettle would be sheer capacity. As far as food quality, you would be hard pressed to notice any distinguishable difference at all between the food cooked on the kettle or one of the bullet or drum type smokers if the cook did his or her part. That said, if you need more capacity, this is where a drum or bullet type smoker will start to out shine the kettle. It's been my experience as well that you usually can get longer burn times out of drum and bullet style smokers as well due to their much larger fire baskets as opposed the kettle. I feel that a bullet or drum style smoker is a great compliment to a kettle. If you have both, it really increases you cooking options as well as your capacity. If it were me, I would skip on buying one of the real cheap ones and save up and get a good one like the Weber or PBC if you chose to purchase instead of building one yourself. Why? More often than not, you get what you pay for. Weber has been around for a real long time. And for good reason.

You will be wasting your money on a cheap smoker.Because you won't want to use it because it's a hassle and a fuel hog.

If you get a used WSM or UDS you can always sell it and get your money back. You can't do that with a Brinkman ect...

Harold - us Weber guys have a saying: Buy the best, only cry once. If you're going to buy an upright, buy the WSM. If it doesn't work out, put it on CL and get almost what you paid for it.
I don't have a UDS and have never cooked on one, but have had food off of them. Good cookers, those UDSs.

Don't have any experience with the cabinet smoker but I do know that the Brinkman is most likely something you do not want. If it was me, I would go with the WSM and skip the cheap smokers.

Having used a kettle to smoke on and a wsm I can agree that there is little difference in quality. There is considerable difference in capacity.

Very little if any learning curve with either one.

Longer cook times with wsm.

I have also found different methods with the wsm...I can go with water in the pan, waterless and pan-less and each one gives a completely different temp control and style result (with the water I get less bark, waterless more bark and higher temps, no pan offers a long distance grilling effect). The kettle is one option, banked coals.

Temp control is much easier in the wsm, the multiple vents offer precise control. Once dialed in it's a set it and forget it ride.

Invest in the wsm, you won't regret it.

Hope this helps

~305Q

I have a ECB that sets in my basement unused. The kettle makes a better smoker. I'd wait for a CL WSM.

Just burned and painted a new drum this weekend to replace my 8 year old rusted out UDS. The set and forget overnight cooks is second to none.

Edit: the drum was free and have parts and charcoal basket from the rust heap

UDS if you have a bit of time behind basic tools. WSM if not or if looks are important.

I smoked on a kettle and my UDS is so much easier to cook great, consistently, with ease.

Back