Worcestershire Sauce: Does The Brand Matter To You???

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have taste tested Lea & Perrin's side by side with French's. I can't really pick up on much of a difference, but I don't have the most refined palate. I know there are some brands that don't contain anchovies so that would most likely cause a big difference.

Thoughts?

Lee & Perrin. Always. I do have a bottle of French's in the cabinet, but it never gets used unless I'm out of the L&P. I think that French's is about three years old...
Even my Mom would get the L&P, where she'd get less expensive brands in other things, when I was a kid. Perhaps it's just tradition with me, but still...

I bought French's one time because it was on sale and I was making a couple of gallons of Bloody Captain mix and I didn't like it. It seemed like it was sweeter than L&P.

I bought French's one time because it was on sale and I was making a couple of gallons of Bloody Captain mix and I didn't like it. It seemed like it was sweeter than L&P.

That's a good way of saying it. I just went and compared the two in a taste test and the French's is notably sweeter, and also has a very prominent, almost citrusy acidic bite (Notes of lemon and orange almost), that the L&P does not have quite as strongly. The L&P is smoother as well, and clearly a better sauce, to me.

Whoops, on edit...the best by date on the French's is November 29, 2011...

Yep. I use that one a LOT.

The original and still the best... L&P no doubt.
Have had to settle for a bottle of Heinz once before, but never would again... just felt wrong.
It may just be tradition as Deguerre said... cause I too only remember my parents buying L&P...

I use Lee and Perrins for Western style and Kagome for Japanese style. Since I am not unhappy with them, I keep using them. Never thought to try another brand.

I didn't know there were other brands.

Farking wannabe's.:mad:

Next thing you know some copycats are going to try and muscle in on Heinz Ketchup and Hellman's Mayonnaise.

That's a good way of saying it. I just went and compared the two in a taste test and the French's is notably sweeter, and also has a very prominent, almost citrusy subtletiese (Notes of lemon and orange almost), that the L&P does not have quite as strongly. The L&P is smoother as well, and clearly a better sauce, to me.

Whoops, on edit...the best by date on the French's is November 29, 2011...

Yep. I use that one a LOT.

I think the reason that I don't pick up on the differences is that if I'm using Worcestershire Sauce its almost always in a BBQ sauce. All of the other bold flavors are probably making the subtleties. Kinda like I dont notice much difference based on the brand of ketchup that goes into my sauce even though I definitely have my preference if I'm using it as a condiment.

I use Lee and Perrins for Western style and Kagome for Japanese style. Since I am not unhappy with them, I keep using them. Never thought to try another brand.

Kagome huh? Not familiar with that one. Is that something I need to get from an Asian market?

I use Heinz. It's cheaper and I can't tell the difference.

I make my own :tongue: Read the label most contain Soy and Corn syrup including L&P. The taste is like Chocolate compared to Vanilla.

Yes, Kagome is a Japanese brand, and unless you are cooking Japanese food, not worth your time to seek out. It is very sweet and fruity, not very popular with most Americans, if they use it as Worcestershire sauce. It is the dominant flavor in things such as Yakisoba.

BTW, us Asian type people consider Lee and Perrins to be a wanna be, we invented that stuff.

I make my also, it's actually pretty easy. If I do buy it's usually Lea & Perrins. Don't use much of it so not needed often.

Never thought about it, had to look. Heinz is what we have now. Maybe I will try some L&P after this thread. See if I can tell the difference

Back