Question(s) mainly for stick burner guys

ncmoose

is one Smokin' Farker
Since a lot of our other options can run pretty steady for longer periods of time, I was curious for the stick burner folks as to when they do most of their cooks. Run all day with evening meal? Burn the midnight oil? Some of column A and some of column B? To all: Ever fallen asleep during a cook and wake up to disaster?

I don't have my stick burner yet (in the SF cue) but I have adjusted down my vent on the egg and awoken to some tepid, ruined butt 6 hours later.

Well, part of the fun is figuring out how you like to do it!

I've tried the put them on at midnight, getting a couple of 50 minute naps during the night, and usually oversleeping somewhere in the night and having only a couple of embers to relight the pit with.

Then there is the 4-5 am pit lighting and tending the fire during the day to get the briskets ready by dinnertime.

I've found that when I move to the couch, I don't oversleep as much as in the bed, plus my wife super does not like extra alarms waking her in the middle of the night.

I used to work all day 12-14 hours, then come home and light the pit. I'd stay up allllll night then make brisket hash in the morning. I miss those days. I'd still do them, if ai could get someone to join me.

I cook at higher temps....275-300*, and start early if trying to meet a certain time. No way do I want to feed logs long enough to get a big packer brisket through a cook at 225*.

What I plan to start doing is cooking at my leisure, portioning and vacuum sealing then reheating in hot water bath, for some meals. My last few cooks have reheated very well, with minimal to no quality degredation.

Fire it up at 8 AM, meat on 8:30-8:45, off n resting by 3 -4 or 5 pm, eating at 6-6:30-7 pm.
Running 300*ish (275-325*).........
^^^this. I've done enough of the alarm every 45 minutes all farking night.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Never done an overnight cook. I start in the morning and have food ready by lunch and/or dinner depending on what I'm cooking. I usually cook at or above 275 to 300.

Down here in Texas, barbecue is an all day thing and it starts at lunchtime. So I put the meat on by midnight and have it resting in time for lunch. Then eat the left overs for dinner. I try not to have the finished meat parked in the fridge for too long.

I nap on the couch with my timer set to every hour.. longer if I hit the stall already. I am the type who can sleep whenever and wherever so the cat naps do not bother me and I still feel refreshed in the morning.

Last edited:
I enjoy overnight cooks on the offset. It's really peaceful, right up until a big raccoon scampers up to mug me for some of the rendered fat which is dripping into a pail.

IMHO it is a wonderful experience...never did an all nighter ....mostly did ribs and butt/brisket at hight temp so they would get done by supper....but with some health issues/meds naps are a necessity......so I have a drum, kettle, stick burner, and I love each and everyone of them, but it’s like how do you feel that day. Do you want to be caveman and tend the fire, or socialize a lil more on a drum or kettle? One of my most proud moments was when I contemplated selling the stick burner and my son said “I thought we were going to keep it for posterity”......guess the ole Jambo is going to make a second generation!!

Back