Potential Pellet replacement for KBQ stick-burner?

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hey everyone,

I have a KBQ stick burner. It's my first stick burner and absolutely love it. Clean, real wood smoke, two fans add convection which cooks significantly quicker and it is an absolute bark making machine.

That being said, unfortuntaly I am moving from South Eastern region of PA to coastal SoCal. This move is not by preference, but to support family.
As you know, SoCal is dry, houses near the coast are close. We bought a home in a 55 & over. Not sure the stick burner will fly there.

If I have to replace it w/ a pellet cooker, I want to have some background info on what to look for. Based upon retirement and big jump in cost of living in coastal SoCal, I'll need to limit the expenditure. I will probably start by looking for used units.

Please school me on pellet cookers. What should I look for and what should I avoid? I do think I need bells and whistles, though cooking temp would sure be nice to know and control. I certainly do not need WiFi.

What do I need to know?
Respectfully,
JD

IMO if you love your KBQ, there’s a lot of pellet grills you’re going to be disappointed in. Having had Traegers, CampChefs, Memphis, MAK, GMG, and Weber models, my experience is there is a difference in results. The Weber I had and the MAK I have currently produce a much stronger smoke profile and better bark than all of the others I’ve had.

Unfortunately, my experience leads me to believe most of the cheaper pellet grills just don’t produce as good of smoke profile. It’s not a mental justification. It’s because the more expensive grills break away from being near exact copies of all the other cheaper pellet grills. If you look at just about any pellet smoker under $1000 they’re all pretty much exactly the same minus color and exterior shape and minor features that really don’t affect cooking performance. The more expensive smokers tend to innovate. They change the exhaust system, drip tray design, fire pot, invest more into controller development to do things like pulse fans, etc.

IMO if you love your KBQ, there’s a lot of pellet grills you’re going to be disappointed in. Having had Traegers, CampChefs, Memphis, MAK, GMG, and Weber models, my experience is there is a difference in results. The Weber I had and the MAK I have currently produce a much stronger smoke profile and better bark than all of the others I’ve had.

Unfortunately, my experience leads me to believe most of the cheaper pellet grills just don’t produce as good of smoke profile. It’s not a mental justification. It’s because the more expensive grills break away from being near exact copies of all the other cheaper pellet grills. If you look at just about any pellet smoker under $1000 they’re all pretty much exactly the same minus color and exterior shape and minor features that really don’t affect cooking performance. The more expensive smokers tend to innovate. They change the exhaust system, drip tray design, fire pot, invest more into controller development to do things like pulse fans, etc.
Thanks for this thread & especially for this post.
I’m hoping others chime in on specific cookers.
Based upon their reply, I’ll need to look at something above entry level.
My challenge is, my budget is limited so I’ll most likely start by searching for used.
Once again I’ll ask, specific to the higher end (at least about entry level, what things should I seek and what should I avoid?
Respectfully,
JD

It's a good idea to get the research on pellets done ahead of your move, but wait till you find out what's allowed in your new neighborhood before you run out and buy one there.

They may be ok with a traditional offset which has an enclosed firebox or at least a WSM or kamado/kettle all of which would probably give you more smoke flavor than a pellet.

I would hate to be stuck with pellet or gas as my only options. Time to move!

It's a good idea to get the research on pellets done ahead of your move, but wait till you find out what's allowed in your new neighborhood before you run out and buy one there.

They may be ok with a traditional offset which has an enclosed firebox or at least a WSM or kamado/kettle all of which would probably give you more smoke flavor than a pellet.

I would hate to be stuck with pellet or gas as my only options. Time to move!

Thanks Football,
I sold an Egg. For smoking, especially lower temps, it was only able to smolder, which does not produce the cleanest smoke in my opinion. I was seeking that real wood, thin blue smoke. Don’t hate the idea of a WSM, though they could use a number of upgrades. I do hope I can keep my KBQ and find a place to burn ut safely w/ out pissing off anyone.
JD

i live on a hillside in SoCal. I have a KBQ and there is no problem.I was concerned as well, but figured i would try it out. For the most part, I run it with the lid on the firebox which keeps everything under control. The only time it felt sketchy was when I was adding wood when it was really windy, like the kind of wind that would knock over patio chairs.

i live on a hillside in SoCal. I have a KBQ and there is no problem.I was concerned as well, but figured i would try it out. For the most part, I run it with the lid on the firebox which keeps everything under control. The only time it felt sketchy was when I was adding wood when it was really windy, like the kind of wind that would knock over patio chairs.
Thanks brother,
I'll be in a 55 & over community/ I've still got to read the HOA before I make any decisions. I'd sure like to keep it.
JD

Back