Mold?

Ruger410

Full Fledged Farker
Hey yall I have a 22in WSM that I keep in my back shed that has almost no air circulation.i do not keep the grates in it and I keep the vents all open. I'm wondering though if it will grow mold it gets really humid here and hot as hell. Should I be worried? Also I have some left over coal in the bottom.
Thanks

I'm on NoVa and I have the same issue with mold. It grows whenever I go a month without using my 18" WSM. Still trying to find a solution for this myself.

Hey Ruger410,
We live in Oregon where it is pretty damp all the time and mold is an issue here. I have a propane torch that I use to flash burn the inside of my cookers before each cook. According to wikipedia the temperature of the flame from a propane torch is around 3600F which will kill pretty much anything. We used a propane torch to disinfect wire cages on a farm I use to work at before each use. So if you don't have a propane torch you can pick them up at a local hardware store or harbor freight, I would recommend you get one with the starter button. Here is a link http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html

Hey Ruger410,
We live in Oregon where it is pretty damp all the time and mold is an issue here. I have a propane torch that I use to flash burn the inside of my cookers before each cook. According to wikipedia the temperature of the flame from a propane torch is around 3600F which will kill pretty much anything. We used a propane torch to disinfect wire cages on a farm I use to work at before each use. So if you don't have a propane torch you can pick them up at a local hardware store or harbor freight, I would recommend you get one with the starter button. Here is a link http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html

Thanks I will check and see what tractor supply has

I'm on NoVa and I have the same issue with mold. It grows whenever I go a month without using my 18" WSM. Still trying to find a solution for this myself.

Yeah that would get to be a pain in The butt. I think I might hit mine with the power washer a little, I would like to keep some of the grease inside though she holds temp better

Yeah that would get to be a pain in The butt. I think I might hit mine with the power washer a little, I would like to keep some of the grease inside though she holds temp better

Yeah I don't wanna wash off the seasoning. I think I will try storing it with the 3 sections disassembled and see if that helps.

I live in Southern CA and the other day I opened my UDS and the top rack was covered in a film of mold. I was going to fire up my gasser and throw the grate on the top and try to burn it off. I may still do that, but maybe I'll hit it with a propane torch too.

I don't recall ever having that problem before . . .

I live in Southern CA and the other day I opened my UDS and the top rack was covered in a film of mold. I was going to fire up my gasser and throw the grate on the top and try to burn it off. I may still do that, but maybe I'll hit it with a propane torch too.

I don't recall ever having that problem before . . .

Yeah I think the torch would be the way to go

I'm

no mold expert, but as long as there is a food source in the cooker i.e. grease, rubs (sugars), and so forth on the inside, you will get mold growth eventually. As for the climate, I live in a dry and HOT climate and have never had issues with mold growth in the cookers even after an extended time of non use. I'm thinking that the humidity in your area is the catalyst for this problem.

Bob

Use a wire brush to get off most of the mold and then fire it up with a good hat fire and let it burn off. The mold can't live in high temps. Then if you are still worried about it, scrape it with the brush again.

I have to do this with my BGE about once a year during the really humid season.

Also another thought, you can't always see mold and that doesn't mean its not there. If you are in an area that has mold growing you might want to flash burn before your cook anyway. :wink:

I've discovered white vinegar is my friend. After I'm done smoking I will rinse out my spray bottle and fill it up with vinegar. While the cooker is still hot I spray the hell out of the cook chamber, close the door and let the steam coat everything. White vinegar is a known natural anti-bacterial and is of course food safe :thumb:

While I have not had my WSM for very long I have not had problems with mold (yet). Once I'm done I close all vents and leave all the ashes and everything in it until the next cook. I do leave the grates in mine, however I clean the grates and the water pan (if it gets around the foil) after every cook. Since I also don't use mine extensively I sometimes also put the cover on it, for what that's worth.

Back