Wild cherry...

Beentown

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Going to be using wild cherry for the first time tomorrow. Going to cook up a mess of ribs. I cut this out of one of our woods and figured I would give it a try since I like other fruit woods.

Anyone use it and if so do you like it?

The only downside is this has some fungus on it that I am going to have to scrape off the bark before cutting into fist sized chunks.

Going to be using wild cherry for the first time tomorrow. Going to cook up a mess of ribs. I cut this out of one of our woods and figured I would give it a try since I like other fruit woods.

Anyone use it and if so do you like it?

The only downside is this has some fungus on it that I am going to have to scrape off the bark before cutting into fist sized chunks.

Can't say I have any experience with wild cherry, but I'm a big fan of cherry so I'm sure it'll work out good for ya.

I use both ornamental and wild cherry wood in my kettle and can't tell a difference. I've experimented with a number of different woods and have settled on cherry for everything.

Sadly both the wife and I can't taste a difference in any of the woods. Burn Mesquite chunk charcoal, can't taste it. Have used cherry, hickory, apple and the latest was maple flavor chunks...couldn't taste any of them. Only 5hing we taste is the smoke itself

It seems that it would be pretty similar to what a Rainier cherry looks as far as bark, except for the color. If thats the case then it should be awesome on beef. I have a little bit of rainier left that i brought with me from WA and wish i could have snuck more into the moving truck. Good luck and enjoy!

I use cherry 99% of the time. There is a very slight difference in results between wild cherry and black cherry but both are great with anything that fits in the cooker.

If it was good enough for George Washington, it should be good for us. After all, George wouldn't tell a lie.

I bought a box of wild cherry a year or two ago and was very happy with the results. I primarily use cherry and pecan but I do not see wild cherry for sale very often.

Use something else if it's fresh cut. Needs to dry, which will also kill the fungus.

I use cherry 99% of the time. There is a very slight difference in results between wild cherry and black cherry but both are great with anything that fits in the cooker.
They are both names for the same species.

Use something else if it's fresh cut. Needs to dry, which will also kill the fungus.

Good tip and thanks. The trees were fell last year. Just now getting them cut up into usable size now. I am starting with the smaller 3" limbs and will split and stack the rest. I have enough for at least 3 years. Lol

Use cherry all the time. I love it.
image_zps8kl3b8up.jpg

Nice stack of wood...Now I know what real envy is like. Good smoking, Joe

Cherry is a wonderful smoking AND grilling wood. Doesn't matter which variety. I like placing a bunch of chunks on the Kingsford, letting them get started, then grilling open, over the top of them. Simply mahvelous!

Only thing I wish is that it wasn't so scarce where I live.

I mainly use wild cherry in the stick burner. Gives ribs a really nice color.

Turned out great. Glad I like it because I have 1/2 a chord. Once chunked Into sizes I use (fist sized) i will have too much. Going to see if anyone local that I know needs some cherry splits.

Turned out great. Glad I like it because I have 1/2 a chord. Once chunked Into sizes I use (fist sized) i will have too much. Going to see if anyone local that I know needs some cherry splits.

Just put 'em in boxes and send them to me. Kansas ain't THAT far...

very similar

i cant really tell much of a difference. Here in Georgia smoking is typically dominated by hickory, pecan, apple and peach. We do however have wild and ornimental cherry. I happen to have some bb and a butt over cherry as we speak.

Back