FWIW..28 Best BBQ Restaurants

KC Joe's is pretty good, but it's not the best in KC IMO. There's more BBQ joints on the list from California than from MO or some of the other well known BBQ states. Obviously not having been to them I can't comment on how good they are, but the list seems a little suspect.

Going to have to try out Sugarfire and Pappy's when I'm in STL the next time.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I enjoy these lists. I've been to seven of these. The sad part is that so many get left off.

I went to Dr. Hogly Wogly's Tyler TX Style BBQ once in the 80's and enjoyed it, but I was a little drunk and pretty dang stoned, like the kind of stoned where eating a hot dog from 7-11 becomes a fine dining experience, even if it's the last one on the roller thingee.

A coworker and I tried it again a year or 2 ago with clear minds, and as my friend so appropriately stated: "Dr. Hogly Wogly should be sued for malpractice.".

4505 Burgers and BBQ in San Francisco is surprisingly good, in my opinion. One of the side dishes is fried mac and cheese which is amazing. Plus you can get Lone Star Beer there along with Big Red.

I went to Dr. Hogly Wogly's Tyler TX Style BBQ once in the 80's and enjoyed it, but I was a little drunk and pretty dang stoned, like the kind of stoned where eating a hot dog from 7-11 becomes a fine dining experience, even if it's the last one on the roller thingee.

A coworker and I tried it again a year or 2 ago with clear minds, and as my friend so appropriately stated: "Dr. Hogly Wogly should be sued for malpractice.".

I'm glad someone else said it first. I had heard about this place from someone, and I visited in on a trip back from Oxnard with the first wife (don't ask. long story. very sad.) Underwhelming, to say the least.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
KC Joe's is pretty good, but it's not the best in KC IMO. There's more BBQ joints on the list from California than from MO or some of the other well known BBQ states. Obviously not having been to them I can't comment on how good they are, but the list seems a little suspect.

Going to have to try out Sugarfire and Pappy's when I'm in STL the next time.

I agree and disagree. I think Joes epitomizes what all bbq joints aspire to be. Can you find better bbq in KC? Probably. But if I had to pick one place to bring a visitor to, it would be Joe's every time.

I love lists like this...almost as much as the ensuing back and forth of the various proponents.

I've never been to any of these places- I would hope that the authors of the list did but /shrug.

Pretty on point for NC choosing both an eastern (whole hog/minimalist vinegar based sauce) and western style (shoulder/ tomato based sauce) chopped Q joint for the list. I knew the Skylight would be the top choice from NC. The Skylight and Lexington are safe historical choices. There's other great spots too but can't quarrel with the selection.

I agree and disagree. I think Joes epitomizes what all bbq joints aspire to be. Can you find better bbq in KC? Probably. But if I had to pick one place to bring a visitor to, it would be Joe's every time.

Yeah, I suppose you're right on that. I've just had inconsistent food there a few times over the past couple years. When it's good, it's great though.

Pretty on point for NC choosing both an eastern (whole hog/minimalist vinegar based sauce) and western style (shoulder/ tomato based sauce) chopped Q joint for the list. I knew the Skylight would be the top choice from NC. The Skylight and Lexington are safe historical choices. There's other great spots too but can't quarrel with the selection.

This makes me think of the first time I had BBQ in NC. I grew up in the PNW, but was visiting a Navy friend's hometown of Ayden. He said his mom was going to get BBQ and asked if I wanted any and I (thinking BBQ ribs or chicken or something) said heck yeah! When they got back with the food I opened up the take out carton and asked where was the BBQ? He looked at mine and said right there! I said that looks like shredded meat, and he said yeah that's BBQ! I've since come to love it, but still prefer the pulled pork over the finely chopped NC style.

I'm seeing more and more of these types of lists. All they seem to have in common is a love of wasting words. These articles solve no problem and have been around and around and around. Meaningless.

Does anyone really think that a dadgummed Yankee food critic from NYC knows much about BBQ? Bagels? Sure. BBQ? Doubtful.

Just my opinion and we all know what opinions are worth.

If you like Mexican food, look up Bone Garden Cantina. Little place in an Industrial Complex, NE of the airport, kind of hard to find. But every time I'm in Atlanta, I stop by there for lunch on the way back to the airport.

This is the door you're looking for...

5yu1B0qh.jpg

In L.A., I don't get Dr. Hogly Wogly's at all. I wouldn't put it on a Top 1000 list.

Bludso's on La Brea is the real deal. I haven't eaten barbecue in the South, so I can't say how it compares. But I've eaten at dozens of barbecue pits, such as Flint's many years ago in Berkeley and Oakland, and Bludso is my favorite. Very pure hardwood smoke flavor, great quality meats. They also make my favorite potato salad I've ever had.

Back