Where can a man get a fresh turkey?

rdstoll

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I realize Thanksgiving is still a month away but we're hosting this year and I want to do a test run on smoking a turkey this weekend, complete with brining, etc. Problem is I've checked with a couple of grocery stores in the area and nobody has turkeys, which I find odd. Any ideas?

Thanks Ron Long Grove nearby so will run to Sunset Foods!

We go with Ho-ka every year. Prepare for some sticker shock but they're pretty darn good!

I find this to be a fine excuse to get all the turkey hunting gear you always wanted but knew would end in divorce should you purchase a section of Cabellas. However should this end in divorce make sure you get to keep your stuff because you will need something to do. Happy hunting.

Dorfler's in Buffalo grove will order you one. Takes a couple days.

Well I've ordered some Ho-Ka turkeys. $4.00/lb!!!!

I actually needed 4 turkeys total about 15lb each so I ordered two Ho-Ka turkeys and then the lady told me of another brand from Minnesota that is just as good (Schalls??) for $3.69/lb so I ordered two of those.

Can't wait to try these things out!!

Well I've ordered some Ho-Ka turkeys. $4.00/lb!!!!

I actually needed 4 turkeys total about 15lb each so I ordered two Ho-Ka turkeys and then the lady told me of another brand from Minnesota that is just as good (Schalls??) for $3.69/lb so I ordered two of those.

Can't wait to try these things out!!

WOW!! $50+ per bird?? :twitch:

In Canada, $4/lb is standard for a Farm fresh bird. The farm I get my Turkey's from is owned by a good friend of mine, and my Daughter loves going up to see the 200+ birds running around, and show her where her food comes from.

Problem is that I have to smoke two on Saturday and I'm not going to get them until Saturday morning (dumb for ordering late). So the ones on Saturday I'm not going to be able to brine overnight as I wanted to. Any other suggestions?

It's pretty sad that the only place around my home to get a fresh turkey just ceased operating about a month ago. Now we all have to go to the store and get a frozen Butterball. If I had a few acres, I'd raise my own.

What you do is,.....

Ya go on down to where the old water tower used to be and hang a left.
Then make a right where old man Hotchkiss used to stand and yell at the squirrels.
Once you pass the old hangin tree your almost there.
Make a left into the 7 eleven parking lot and grab me a beer.
Get back on the road and drink the beer, just don't forget to tell me that you did do something nice for me " in spirit"
Throw empty beer can at annoying cell phone driver.
Proceed to your local supermarket as it is the holiday season and of course they have farking turkeys.
:-D

If they were out I'm sure they'll re-stock. Don't panic. : )

When my brother once announced that he was serving a fresh turkey my wife asked where he was going to keep it. Where she is from, a fresh turkey means you walk it home.

Back