Turkey Shortage?

WilliamKY

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
William
The USDA predicts there will be a turkey shortage for Thanksgiving because of a two to three percent decrease in birds since 2021.

”We do not expect any shortage of turkey products this year. If you're going to the grocery store and you're looking for your traditional frozen turkey you're going to be able to find it,” said Beth Breeding, Spokesperson for the National Turkey Federation.

I kinda doubt there will be a shortage but I have no doubt the prices might increase. Right now select Kroger has turkeys $0.49lb with a digital coupon. I grabbed 2 birds just in case. Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner covered.

^^^Great price. Kroger ads here are saying $1.49

Decided to avoid the Thanksgiving week crowds at the local place that sells fresh Amish poultry. Picked up a 7# frozen breast little while ago for $4/#. Expensive but that shop has never disappointed in the 30 years going there. Has ruined all other turkey for me.

Got my 400 points free Turkey coupon ready to go. Today was the starting date to reedem it.

I have not been able to get any turkey breast for catering for several months from my local restaurant supply. The brand they normally carry is Jennie-o foil wrapped turkey breast. So I contacted the company and this was the gentleman's reply:

[FONT=&quot]"Due to the impact of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza on commercial turkey flocks all raw turkey breast roasts are in very short supply. Many orders have been cancelled because of a lack of availability. We are expecting this situation to continue through the first calendar quarter of calendar year 2023." [/FONT]

Ran to get my free turkey. Picked up a 22.16 pounder. They had lots of Turkeys, so im thinking this shortage hasn't happened yet.

We ordered our local fresh turkey from the local butcher last weekend. It will be ready for pickup two days before thanksgiving.

Picked this up at Costco today for .99 lb just incase I can't get our normal fresh turkeys we usually get for Thanksgiving.

I asked a few days ago at our local place when we can start ordering the fresh turkeys and they said they don't know yet. We usually order the first week of November.
06c2e01390812e594af9aaccf0da4209.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Got two $0.49 Publix turkeys yesterday.

I was wondering if they were going to go up in price this year due to the bird flu that they said hit the turkeys about a month ago.

Turkeys are one of the few things that Publix has a good price on. I get one or two each year for .49.

Local Kroger ad shows .59/lb.

Haven't really shopped around for turkey. Neither one of us really care for it.

I've been eyeballing standing rib roast for one of the holidays.

One of our local hospitals cannot get turkey, and they have no idea when that will change. Not a huge loss, as they are able to consistently produce the driest, most bland turkey, ever!

Matt

Ordered my Turkey from a Turkey Farm yesterday More expensive but past experience says worth it 1st time with this Farm in MA

Whole turkeys shouldn't be a problem, but getting just breasts or whole legs could be tough to find.
Yep. I was in Walmart about an hour ago and they got a lot of turkeys and bone-in breasts. What I haven't seen in well over a month is legs, wings, and boneless breasts. They were plentiful during the summer. I have a 3pack of turkey legs in the freezer that I will cherish for awhile.

Yep. I was in Walmart about an hour ago and they got a lot of turkeys and bone-in breasts. What I haven't seen in well over a month is legs, wings, and boneless breasts. They were plentiful during the summer. I have a 3pack of turkey legs in the freezer that I will cherish for awhile.
Prefer bone-in.

Have yet to see a 3 leg turkey :mrgreen:

Back