Beef Liver

_BullDog_

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I have a beef liver I got with a CSA order... What should I do with it?

Let me know if you have any good recipes.

I've only dredged and slowly fried with onions.
I'd be interested if anyone has smoked it too.
:pop2:

Fried with onion gravy is the only way I've made it. Calve's liver.

Breaded however you like and gently pan fried in a mix of bacon grease and butter or either or if you don't have the other. The main thing is to not overcook, or it gets dry and somewhat bitter. Delicious!

If you have some lard, dredge the liver in cracker crumbs (S&P) and fry in the lard to rareish--with onions is even better. Deglaze the pan with a brandy/beef stock mixture and reduce by 1/2. Add cream and coarse ground pepper. Put liver back in and simmer for a minute until med rare.

There was a fairly nice restaurant in Nashville that sometimes had this on the menu during the cold weather months when I lived there. I got the procedure from a buddy who was a waiter.

I've only pan fried with onions or made it into pate. I think a smoked liver pate sounds pretty darn good.

Liver...

so easy, even a kid can do it!! :becky:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191420&highlight=liver

We use the plow disc. Slice into strips, cook with onion, some garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, and tomato. Start the disc with some oil, lard, or even just beer. Add the liver and the other stuff and cook till soft and the liver is cooked through. We cook beef heart the same way. If you want the veggie stuff cooked a bit softer, start them first.

Serve on a warm corn tort with a salsa de arbol, pico de gallo, or as is. With a COLD beer too!

We make kidneys the same way, but those need more liquid and 'stew' more than quick fry.
Beef Heart: Even won a TD with Beef Heart! LOL!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76738&highlight=beef+heart
Bob

Chicken, duck, goose or pork liver I like. Beef liver makes a much appreciated dog treat.

I have seen (not made) a recipe for using it in a stir fry Chinese dish. BUT the liver and onions is awesome!

Have you done this? If so approximately how long does it take? Any special prep?

I made liver treats by boiling for 45 minutes, cut into pieces and lay out on a tray, and then put them in a chest freezer for about a week. Or you can boil, chop and add on top of their food.

True but spinach, mustard greens or collards is an essential IMHO. Nice lumpy mashed potatoes with that succulent gravy would be my choice for a starch. But Cajun dirty rice would be my second choice. Yumm! I've got some calf's in the freezer I need to cook.

You can't beat liver and onions with mashed potatoes. I was just throwing out a different option than had been suggested.

True but spinach, mustard greens or collards is an essential IMHO. Nice lumpy mashed potatoes with that succulent gravy would be my choice for a starch. But Cajun dirty rice would be my second choice. Yumm! I've got some calf's in the freezer I need to cook.
Yep.....collards, mac-n-cheese and cornbread do it for me!!

Back