Cuts of beef for roast beef sandwiches

GatorRipJeff1

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Jeff
What cuts of beef do you use for roast beef sandwiches?
I have tried eye of round a few times but find it’s missing the background beef flavor. It’s lean and inexpensive but I’m looking for more flavor.
Thanks
Minnesota
Traeger 620

For a traditional Chicago Italian Beef, it's either top round or bottom round. Thin sliced. Don't forget the giardiniera, Marconi is the best, if you can find it.

If its roast beef flavor you're after, rump roast is probably the best. Bottom round is also very good. And eye of round should have a nice beef flavor so it might be the cows; try a different butcher/grocer.

Eye of Round should be working for you sliced super thin but should be no more than medium. Season what you slice and it never hurts to add GRAVY. If it's not working for you, maybe do try another butcher or that Tri Tip suggestion is gold, if a bit more spendy.

Cheers!

Bill

Love the eye of round for slicing but I put finished meat in the freezer until it firms up and then slice it( I have an inexpensive slicer given to me by a friend - he gets a meal every time I make it).
I’ll work on the gravy and seasoning after slicing ( maybe a new source for eye of round - it’s been Sam’s and Costco )

Deli style roast beef here is top round, Med Rare and cut thin. Some have an Italian style with a "rub" of garlic, Black Pepper, etc...

Back