THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sportsnut

is one Smokin' Farker
Got a couple beer can chickens, a Fatty and a dozen chicken legs. These are going on my 22" WSM. I have the beer can chickens on now at 275*
I'm wondering how long the legs will take ? The legs are hanging in a leg rack and ready to go.

TIA

Ron

I have not cooked just legs. The whole chicken or even quarters for that matter, take around 2-3 hours. If you have a thermo, stick one after an hour and a half or so till the temp is close to 180.

I do legs on a leg rack often. On the weber grill or chargriller, hot bed of coals offset from the legs, a couple chunks of apple wood. Rotate the rack every 20 minutes or so. I don't really check the grill temp, guessing 325-375, they usually take about a buck fifteen (1:15). I check the temp in the thick part. If the thermo says 180, we eat.

I do legs at 250-275, usually takes about 2.5 hours... I usually use the Mega, cuz I can fit about 6 racks per grate. Rotate racks directly aboe fire ring to outside and vise versa only once. Once legs get to about 170 I take lid off till flames are licking the legs, then open all vents, put lid back on for about ten minutes just to crisp skin.

Here is a shot of the goodies. Legs have been on for two hours and are at 165*. Fatty is getting ready to get pulled off in about 5 min. Beer can chickens are at 165* after 4 hrs.

P7050002.jpg

P7050001.jpg

P7050003.jpg

Back