Pork Shoulder and the Money Muscle

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Biggest struggle - doing pulled pork and still keeping the money muscle intact for slicing. I cook my bone-in shoulders to around 200-202. I've done wrapped and unwrapped ... still though I struggle to get the money muscle off and good for slicing.

Pretty sure its my technique though and not the actual cook. What or how do you all approach you shoulder after you pull it so the money muscle stays intact and is good for slicing. NO I will not remove the money muscle and cook it separate.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Gerry

Slice it so it is still mostly attached, and remove it earlier than the rest of the shoulder from an IT perspective.

I've seen guys remove the money muscle and cook it separately, as well as remove it and reattach it using butcher twine so that it's easily removed after cooking.
I usually don't have too much of a problem separating it after it's cooked but then again it's not really that important to me. I just cook the butt, pull it and eat it and if I get to make little money muscle medallions that's great but if not it still tastes great with a little Carolina style vinegar sauce!:wink:

NO I will not remove the money muscle and cook it separate.

Well if its not removed by 185ish degrees it'll never slice. You dont have to cook it seperate, just remove it before overcooking.

Well if its not removed by 185ish degrees it'll never slice. You dont have to cook it seperate, just remove it before overcooking.

Damn that physics and thermodynamics stuff getting in the way of how **I** want to cook my BBQ!!!

Excellent point that I'd forgotten about, the money muscle is leaner and tends to be done a little sooner than the rest of the shoulder, Bbq Bubba has you covered there!:thumb:
I'd probably leave a temp probe in the money muscle to monitor it when getting near the end of the cook, or lay some cold bacon over it at some point during the cook to cool it down a little.:-D

Thanks everyone for the suggestions ... I am going to cook 2 pork shoulders next weekend so will try a couple different techniques.

1. I will remove the muscle at around 185...
2. I will use smoke muscle uncovered for 2 hours, then add bacon for 4 hours, then remove the bacon to finish it up ... this will be different .. I really don't want to mess with my bark.

This is not work btw - BBQ is fun! I love trying things to make my stuff better.

Back