Box smoker advice

troy64

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Contemplating a box smoker for comps. I've no experience with them and would appreciate any and all info the Brethren can share. Some basics I'm looking for are volume (big enough for a typical comp of brisket, ribs, chicken, butt) but not a monster. Weight and maneuverability, ease of cleaning, etc. I realize these type questions generate a wide variety of opinions and that's great. I'm just trying to educate myself and go forward. Also are there any manufacturers located close to South Louisiana? Thank you for any info.

When you say Box Smoker I take it you are talking insulated Cabinet, Backwoods Smokers are manufactured in Shreveport, LA and have a dealer in St Amant. A G2 Party should give you all the room you need to do a comp.

http://www.backwoods-smoker.com/index.html

Last edited:
Backwoods, Humphrey's, Stumps, Spicewine and many more excellent choices. All have their fan base and are high quality products.

Shipping is where you'll get socked once you come to terms with their retail price. If you live in Louisiana, Backwoods are made in your backyard (Shreveport) and you'll be able to dodge the shipping bullet.

Good luck and enjoy.

Lonestar Grillz. IVC.

Nuff Said. Mines on order now.

[ame]http://youtu.be/aPS4sRDfMeI[/ame]

Most are going to be really heavy. I like the LSG but that's 850LBS. Backwoods probably makes the lightest cookers but that's because they use the thinnest metal.

I believe my Humphreys Pint weighs in under 400 lbs with upgrades on it. Easy for doing a full comp. I managed to commit to loading it into the truck myself one day, not something I recommend for middle aged dudes, but I had to get it done, so I tipped it in myself. Better to have a friend for this effort.

I preferred to have the angled legs put on mine with larger tires. This helped with stability for maneuvering it on uneven grass. Granted, you aren't driving these things around much, but the stance and ease of moving is vastly improved with a wider footprint.

Cleanup is an absolute breeze. I cook in pans and if using the racks, have the stainless round bar racks that are super simple to maintain and keep pristine.

12105896_10208041164452069_3390656956542035216_n_zpsbxzhvkwx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Backwoods or Humphreys based on weight alone. Owned a fatboy at one time, now have a pint. It is a rib cooking machine. I have a T&K vertical as well which is comparable in size to the large Lonestar cabinet (5 racks that hold 2 full size pans per rack), no way I would want to wrassle it at a comp.

I believe my Humphreys Pint weighs in under 400 lbs with upgrades on it. Easy for doing a full comp. I managed to commit to loading it into the truck myself one day, not something I recommend for middle aged dudes, but I had to get it done, so I tipped it in myself. Better to have a friend for this effort.

I preferred to have the angled legs put on mine with larger tires. This helped with stability for maneuvering it on uneven grass. Granted, you aren't driving these things around much, but the stance and ease of moving is vastly improved with a wider footprint.

Cleanup is an absolute breeze. I cook in pans and if using the racks, have the stainless round bar racks that are super simple to maintain and keep pristine.

12105896_10208041164452069_3390656956542035216_n_zpsbxzhvkwx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That is sweet. I'm going to check out their website as well as the other's mentioned.

I recommend Humphrey's as well. You can customize them to your hearts content. I have a Down East Beast and love it.

But, I did not see something very important. What flavor profile do you want? If it is a stick burner then you should look at a vertical offset. LSG makes a great one of those. Insulated cabinets have a different profile, not worse, just different.

Back