Have you ever had BBQ so good....

Not in a long time. It's either over-cooked, over-sauced, or bland and dry and......Well, it's been a while.

I have had certain things that I know were better than my own, but in the long run there is no place like home. I have had better of everything I cook but don't want to have to travel the country everytime I want a certain meal.

Last edited:
I'm fortunately (?) moving in the opposite direction: I'm getting to the point where I think I could do better at home.

Good problem to have.....

I live in KC so there's no shortage of great BBQ here. The first time I had Q39's burnt ends I realized I needed to up my brisket game. I think I'm close now...probably not equal yet, but close.

Some things, like pulled pork, ribs or salmon, I make as well as what I can get out. Other stuff, like brisket I know I need to improve.

I've also done very little with sides (slaw, beans, Mac n cheese) and little with alternate preparation (Asian marinades, injections, chilis).

I will tell you it not the restaurants I go to that push me to up my game. It's this forum. Hands down the most creative and diverse collection of cooks and the collective wisdom of you folks is what drives me to improve.

Yes. Franklins brisket and sausage was the best I have ever had. However, I have not found any turkey, ribs or pulled pork as good as mine....

I thought I was half way good until the Wife and I were invited by Brethren Robert and the Habitual Smokers team to one of the Sam's Club tourneys held here acouple of years back. It was our first taste of comp BBQ. Dayum! Been trying to UP my game ever since. Best we've ever had.

For me its not brisket itself.( i love my brisket ) its a brisket sandwich that i had while heading home at a roadside BBQ trailer with a offset smoker. It was labeled as brisket, but honestly, it was like short rib meat. It pactically stuck to the roof of my mouth, it was that collagen sticky. It was pilled high too, no way they could afford to use that much short rib meat in a $3 sandwich. Then there was the bun, most likely baked fresh that morning, and a light drizzle of some bbq sauce that was not too much vinegar, not too much sugar, none of that fake liquid smoke taste. Just well balanced.

And this was in PA, of all states, and ive had BBQ in other states, not Texas, but Virginia, NC, SC, and other states inbetween.

And the worst part of this story is the guy that ran this awesome BBQ trailer died a few years ago. As far as i know, nobody took over the business.

My BBQ game is not great yet, but I've experienced this with chili. I think my chili is pretty good, and it's better than most I've had. Then I try my friend Dave's chili.:sad:

18 years ago I had Dickey's and thought it was the best thing out there. But I was young and dumb. Their brisket tastes boiled and their ribs tasted baked. I eventually made my own versions that surpassed Dickey's but I felt the need to improve once I got out of college and went to other states for some good Q. Arthur Bryant's made me turn my style to KC. Since then it's been hard to get my fix in Texas.

I'm quite happy with all my pork offerings but sausage and brisket need some work. I think it's still better than what I can get in a restaurant in Florida but when I'm in Texas it's a different story.

18 years ago I had Dickey's and thought it was the best thing out there. But I was young and dumb. Their brisket tastes boiled and their ribs tasted baked. I eventually made my own versions that surpassed Dickey's but I felt the need to improve once I got out of college and went to other states for some good Q. Arthur Bryant's made me turn my style to KC. Since then it's been hard to get my fix in Texas.

Thats funny, we just recently got a Dickey's in my area of PA, and everyone including myself found out there BBQ is garbage. LLoyds ribs in the grocery meat department taste better FFS!

Dickeys is pretty mediocre, yet there's a handful or two of them even in KC. I don't understand how there's so many of the given the plethora of other options lol.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Dickeys is pretty mediocre, yet there's a handful or two of them even in KC. I don't understand how there's so many of the given the plethora of other options lol.

Ignorance is bliss, atleat thats a term well used. Not sure i personally agree, but maybe i too ignorant.

It's the Subway of BBQ. Franchise startup is one of the lower ones out there... and they smoke with natural gas. I have yet to go to the original location in Dallas but I am sure they made the "upgrade" to their smoker like the other franchises.

I try really hard not to get hung up in comparisons. I never win. Instead, I just try my best to enjoy the good things.

That said, the chicken at Chicken in a Barrel out in Kauai made me feel shame. Makes me really want a drum to hang chickens in.

I mean....i could understand that possibly being a successful business venture in parts of the country where good bbq is less prevalent but for there to be so many in one of the better known bbq cities? It's not like there is a lack of options....i don't get it.

I try really hard not to get hung up in comparisons. I never win. Instead, I just try my best to enjoy the good things.

That said, the chicken at Chicken in a Barrel out in Kauai made me feel shame. Makes me really want a drum to hang chickens in.

A whole business using UDS to cook? Didn't think it was possible to keep up with the demand with drums.

Back