Pizza peel...

Doug Crann

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
....wood or metal? Or wood to launch and metal to retrieve?

I have a wood peel and I'm getting an 8" aluminum turning peel. Don't get the wood peel wet!

Metal for me also if you can work it.

Wood Peel makes things complicated for me. The wood ones are too thick especially at the pick up lip, they absorb too much, they can not get wet when you want to deliver or retrieve your pie. Ive not used an metal peel but they make more since with there thin profile

After working in several pizza places, I would suggest the thinness of metal, easier to load and unload, but make sure to keep it dry or sprinkle corn meal on before you put the raw dough on it.

If you're having issues with sticking check out the super peel by Exo. It works like a conveyor belt. I use that for putting the pizza in the oven and switch to a metal one when its done.

If you're having issues with sticking check out the super peel by Exo. It works like a conveyor belt. I use that for putting the pizza in the oven and switch to a metal one when its done.

Interesting idea. Unfortunately for me, I don't think I'd want to try one with my blackstone. Looks like you'd have to get hour hand into places you might not want it

I have a wood one but it's too thick. I haven't broken down and picked up a metal one yet

I've never tried a metal one so can't speak to it, but, if you go with wood & learn how to use it it is effortless.

As for a turning peel, I use a Blackstone so they're obsolete for that oven, but when I used an egg I turned it with tongs.

As for retrieval, I pull it out with tongs onto a pizza screen so the bottom doesn't steam (as is the case removing directly to a peel or a serving pan)

Back