Stumps Clone (kind of) Issue -- HELP!!!

Having owned a Stumps in the past, it appears to be the same size exhaust pipe that Stumps uses.

Thanks for everyone's responses, which were extremely helpful. As mentioned a few times, the air needs to be able to pass through the charcoal which is totally the issue. In a perfect world, I should drop the whole chute down ~6-8 inches but think I may have an idea bc that's a LOT OF WORK!! If I add a steel plate that spans the entire width of the firebox towards the back and that is a few inches higher than the bottom level of where charcoal is, this would force the air to go slightly up the chute and come down on the back of the steel plate that was added before going into the cook chamber. I would need to put a canopy above this steel plate inside the chute so no charcoal would spill in but leave a large enough gap so the air can easily pass through.

Any shot this would work?

Yes, make the plate you are talking about come up to the grate height and then cut your opening into the cooking chamber. That opening on my baby is about 3" high. Above that opening inside the cooking chamber is a plate 4" wide and the length of the opening set on a angle forcing the hot air down toward the bottom of the pit.

By the looks of your pic, looks like the ash is falling into the intake air into the cooker instead of air going thru the lit coals. heat rises into the Stumps above the lit coals

Looks like a nice build. I know it has been mentioned, but have you tried it with a guru or other forced air product?? That might be easier and cheaper in the long run???

Or perhaps a blow dryer just to see if it works?

My large homemade Gravity Fed will not get above 125-150 unless I use the BBQ Guru with the fans. My cooker is larger than a stumps stretch xl, so it takes a pair of 25 cfm fans to get her hot.

attachment.php

Back