Wood Fired Oven Build

It took a long time to read through 17 pages, but it was totally worth it! Awesome job!

I know where I'm going when I have a pizza craving.....

This is an awesome build and I cannot believe how fast you got it done. That said I wonder why you have decided not to put vermiculite in the enclosure. I would have to think it would be fairly easy and not overly expensive. I'm sure the insulation would help. Just some thoughts from an admirer.

Are you planning any ventilation for the wood structure? Like the soffit or gable vents in a home. Just a thought.

Yes, I used vented soffit.

It took a long time to read through 17 pages, but it was totally worth it! Awesome job!

I know where I'm going when I have a pizza craving.....

Might have to have a brethren party and we can play with the oven and the beast.

This is an awesome build and I cannot believe how fast you got it done. That said I wonder why you have decided not to put vermiculite in the enclosure. I would have to think it would be fairly easy and not overly expensive. I'm sure the insulation would help. Just some thoughts from an admirer.

I agree on ease and cost, but I just decided that buying the ceramic fiber blanket wasn't a deal breaker so just go with the best that I can afford.

Ceramic fiber blanket on, 3" minimum all the way around, top is probably 5-6" thick.
picture.php

Front: the open section is where I am going to put a piece of steel plate that has a hinged door. I should also note that the reason for the different colored siding and trim, I work for a lumber yard and we occasionally get prefinished siding returned to us but we can't resell it to customers so we get a good price on it.
picture.php

Side
picture.php

Back
picture.php

Other Side
picture.php

Tomorrow I will put on the ice/water, drip edge, shingles & chimney. I will caulk during the week and plan to paint next weekend.

This is awesome. thanks for sharing. I almost think I could build one...not.

Honestly it turned out to be more work than I originally expected, but given a few months to rest I would do it again if we ever move!

Love the build thread. Get that thing cooking before the snow starts.

My plan is to cook some pies next weekend for the Nebraska vs. Michigan State game. But snow won't stop me!

Roofing & Chimney installed.
picture.php

Built another fire while I was picking up tools and debris, used my new infrared thermometer for the first time. Dome temp of 840+, need to pick up a load of oak/maple this week so I am ready to cook some pies on Saturday.
picture.php

Nice job. So it the blanket just laying on top of the oven?
Yeah, depending on the spot it is 3-6 inches thick. It is pretty dense stuff but if you keep the pieces relatively short it forms to the dome pretty well.

Impressive! Can't wait to see the pies!
I have some dough in the fridge right now that I am trying out a 2 day cold rise/proof on. Planning to cook that on Thursday evening as a test, and I have at least 25-30 people coming over on Saturday night for our first pizza party.

Going to be trying a couple pizzas tomorrow night after work, to speed things up I have everything ready so all I need to do is light. I was doing some research online and came upon this lighting method that was full blaze within 3 minutes, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I usually start with a chimney of lump.
picture.php

Also found out my wood storage area can hold about 1/2 a face cord of wood.
picture.php

I have 20-30 people coming over for pizza on Saturday night so I figured I better give this thing a try before I have guests.

Nice - That is the method I use for my fire pit. With dry wood it take off right away

Ryan,

Be careful with firing a new masonry dome too fast!

I would only do that only after I was very sure that then oven was both cured and dry. (Two very different things)

Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Awesome!
So....I'm curious as to your thought process behind the structure over the oven.
Was it a cosmetic thing (to blend into the neighborhood HOA requirements), was it to further insulate the dome, or.....??????

Back