THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

..........A little bit of smoke comes out the front on startup, after it gets going it pretty much all goes up the chimney. I expect that to get even better once I add the next section of chimney.............

When starting your fire, preheat the chimney first. That will train the smoke to go where you want it to go. I like using lump charcoal to start my oven too. Lately, it has been recovered charcoal from my ovens's previous fires. I like to light the charcoal chimney, outside of the oven, on one of my grills. When the coals are ready, I hold the chimney up to my flu for a few seconds before placing it in the oven and then dumping the contents.

Even when starting the wood fire with kindling and paper, I will hold the match, or, a small piece of fat lightered high in the flu before starting the fire.

No matter how you preheat the flu, it will help start the draw, which will keep the front of your oven clean of smoke stains :smile:

EDIT: Great job, by the way! It even gets funner when you start eating out of it. Also, take your time with the drying fires. Don't ramp up the heat too fast.

Looking good! I have always wanted to build one of these. This thread definitely rekindled it, then stomped it out when you posted about the price, but these latest pictures showing the dome built have got me to ignore the price and am trying to convince myself that my wife won't be p#&ssed if I built one of these! Thanks a lot!

........... am trying to convince myself that my wife won't be p#&ssed if I built one of these!

One thing that you can do, is buy the brick a little at a time and store them until you're ready.
The mortar, well...ya better be careful where you store that, because if the bags get wet, then you've wasted your money. But bricks can be stored for some time and saved for a later date.
That way, the price is easier to swallow when it's spread over a period of time.

One thing that you can do, is buy the brick a little at a time and store them until you're ready.
The mortar, well...ya better be careful where you store that, because if the bags get wet, then you've wasted your money. But bricks can be stored for some time and saved for a later date.
That way, the price is easier to swallow when it's spread over a period of time.

You absolutely can make a home brew mortar and save a bunch of money as well.

Great job so far!!
What are you going to use to insulate the dome? Since you're building an enclosure I've seen people completely fill the void with vermiculite or perlite.

Well any money I was saving by finishing the back and sides with lp siding, was just spent on tools that I just had to have!

Great job so far!!
What are you going to use to insulate the dome? Since you're building an enclosure I've seen people completely fill the void with vermiculite or perlite.

That was my plan, a minumum of 6" of perlite or vermiculite.

Awesome build! Noticed you were from Waconia, my cousin lives out there and i have been there a few times and enjoyed nickel dickel days! Beautiful city. Cant wait to see how you finish it off.

Will this loose perlite or vermiculite be dumped over some insulating blanket? You'll probably need at least a layer of blanket over the dome, I would imagine

Honestly, I guess I better look into it. I was just planning on dumping the perlite/vermiculte on it and filling up the cavity to at least 6" above the dome?

Honestly, I guess I better look into it. I was just planning on dumping the perlite/vermiculte on it and filling up the cavity to at least 6" above the dome?

It'll be wise to look into this before you start framing the enclosure. I somewhat remember from the many build threads at Forno Bravo that the dome was insulated with either ceramic blanket or the portland/perlite mix, then loose perlite/vermiculite dumped over it to fill the voids.

It'll be wise to look into this before you start framing the enclosure. I somewhat remember from the many build threads at Forno Bravo that the dome was insulated with either ceramic blanket or the portland/perlite mix, then loose perlite/vermiculite dumped over it to fill the voids.

If that's the case then I may just do a 3" layer of ceramic fiber blanket.

Carbon, after thinking about it some more I came to the conclusion that I am not going to mess around with the perlite/vermiculite. I ordered my ceramic fiber blanket, it will be here next week.

Carbon, after thinking about it some more I came to the conclusion that I am not going to mess around with the perlite/vermiculite. I ordered my ceramic fiber blanket, it will be here next week.
At least you know the dome will be well insulated. :mrgreen:
It also doesn't hurt to fill the voids with loose perlite or vermiculite....they're very cheap, relative to the cost of the ceramic blanket.

Your oven is really gorgeous! I wish I had the know-how to build a legit brick oven. I went with an old school fire clay dome oven instead. I can't wait to see the finished product and pics from your first cook!

Your oven is really gorgeous! I wish I had the know-how to build a legit brick oven. I went with an old school fire clay dome oven instead. I can't wait to see the finished product and pics from your first cook!

I think Ryan is resting from the Hog For 300 Roast this past weekend. I am sure that he needs it :biggrin1:. Most of the folks over at Forno Bravo had no experience with brick, until they built "legit brick oven"s of their own. The knowledge is there, you just have to access it. Learn how to grill, BBQ, and smoke over here. Learn how to build a WFO oven over there.

Just Sayin'

Finally started the enclosure framing, only had about 30 minutes so I didn't get a bunch done but every little bit counts. Probably get another 30-45 minutes tomorrow night, but after that I should be able to put in some decent time on it.
picture.php

Back