THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does a ceramic blanket have to be used ? What about rockwool insulation ?

Not sure, I would search on the Forno Bravo site for detailed info like that. I just wanted to go with something that I could get the most insulating value per inch as possible so I could keep the footprint as small as possible.

Your oven is really gorgeous! I wish I had the know-how to build a legit brick oven. I went with an old school fire clay dome oven instead. I can't wait to see the finished product and pics from your first cook!
Thanks, I am looking forward to getting to use this thing!

I think Ryan is resting from the Hog For 300 Roast this past weekend. I am sure that he needs it :biggrin1:. Most of the folks over at Forno Bravo had no experience with brick, until they built "legit brick oven"s of their own. The knowledge is there, you just have to access it. Learn how to grill, BBQ, and smoke over here. Learn how to build a WFO oven over there.

Just Sayin'

Just Do It is my motto! I got a good nights sleep last night but I could feel myself still dragging a little bit most of the day. My hope would be to have everything except stone, fascia and soffit done by the end of the weekend.

Got a little more framing done tonight.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Finally feels like we are getting somewhere, I should have enough time to finish up framing tomorrow after work. My siding is being delivered on Friday so with any luck by the end of the weekend, this thing will be all done except for the stone portion on the front.
picture.php

Still needs to add the 12" overhangs on each side, back is 12", front should be close to 24" but I didn't measure it.
picture.php

2 out of 3 boxes of ceramic fiber blanket showed up today, the other should be here tomorrow.
picture.php

Excited that my wood fired oven tools showed up today! I learned so much from the Forno Bravo site, that I thought it was fair for me to support them a little bit so I bought this stuff from their online store. I picked up the 5 pc tool set, a infrared thermometer & a log holder.
picture.php

picture.php

Nice tool set!! Nice gesture supporting the FB site.

I bought some tools but I made my own turning peel. The long handle is copper tubing.
It turned out to be my favorite oven tool. I also use it to turn logs and embers.

P1050492_zpsce1bae7f.jpg

Side overhangs and roof sheathing installed need to trim the sheathing to size still.
picture.php

picture.php

My third box of ceramic blanket showed up today, siding/trim/shingles are being delivered tomorrow.

Last edited:
Ryan,

Great! job on the oven and the enclosure. I agree with Carbon. You are moving at warp speed compared to my build. Great tools by the way. But, you just might want to use the brass bristle brush for some other project. You can find cheap, replaceable, natural fiber brushes. They will do the same thing, but without the fear of getting a wire stuck in your craw :shock:

You may also find, that raking the coals in your oven (with something like a rooker), is another useful homemade tool. After raking or moving the coals in a hot oven, slapping the metal peel against the oven floor will clean things up nicely. The loose ash will fly out of your flu leaving the oven floor clean as a whistle :icon_smil

Goals for the Weekend:

Friday Night - trim sheathing to size, install soffit/fascia, secure treated furring strips to block/concrete, if time allows start putting up trim boards (unlikely).

Saturday - install trim boards, siding, wrap oven with ceramic fiber blanket, cut hole in roof for chimney, finish siding if time allows.

Sunday - finish siding, install shingles and chimney, possibly cook a couple pizzas.

Looking so good!
Make sure you give yourself enough room to roll out the ceramic blanket. The thing can be a little cumbersome to work with with all that frame work.

Looking so good!
Make sure you give yourself enough room to roll out the ceramic blanket. The thing can be a little cumbersome to work with with all that frame work.

Just going to put siding on to that level all the way around, then I will put the blanket in and finish the siding.

Back