Needing a good Pecan Pie Recipe to make with daughter

cmohr74

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I was wondering if you could help a Brethren out. Starting 3 years ago, my now 6 year old daughter and I made it a Christmas tradition to make a birthday cake for baby Jesus for Christmas day when we get together with the family. The first year started out as a strawberry cheesecake, then last year was a double decker pineapple upside-down cake. This year she got her first taste of pecan pie and figured that's what he wants. Anyone got any recipes they are willing to help to keep a tradition alive? Thank you in advance and Merry Christmas to all.

Excellent tradition, cmohr!

Pecan pie is my favorite!!! Plus, it's great to have those memories with your daughter. Good on ya!

What I do: use the basic pecan pie recipe on the back of the Karo syrup bottle as a general guide, then embellish. It's something like a cup of dark syrup, 3 eggs beaten, some vanilla, cup of sugar, and a couple tablespoonsful of melted butter. Mix the wet stuff, add pecans, place in a pie shell to bake for 50 or so minutes.

Embellishment: I generally add around 3 times whatever the recipe calls for of pecans, toss in some chocolate chips, sprinkle in some cinnamon, and bake till done. The pie has less of the gooey filling, but I figure pecan pie should feature pecans.

BTW: I don't make my own crust...when I've done the work to make crust, Pillsbury is as good as my best efforts. I blind bake the crust for ~10 mins, then add the filling.

Good luck!

Bruce

I had good luck & comments from one of these that I got from Bass Pro Shop just add eggs & melted butter so easy a 6yo could do it

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Great-Saba-River-Pecan-Company/dp/B009131G2I"]Amazon.com : The Great San Saba River Pecan Company Pecan Pie In-A-Jar : Biscuit Mixes : Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41lpozEa23L.@@AMEPARAM@@41lpozEa23L[/ame]

Ok, I realize that breaking out Tenn whiskey is NOT in the 6 year old arena, but really good fruit cake is made with hooch as well.:biggrin1:

But, since I just recently made this pie and it was BY FAR the best we've had possibly ever I'd feel bad if I didn't suggest it.
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tennessee-whiskey-pecan-pie

BTW, the whiskey whipped cream is totally worth it.

This one has been bookmarked by me, but haven't had a pecan pie opportunity

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186193

I'm sure that the bourbon could be replaced if you didn't want to serve it to your daughter and/or Jesus
images

I agree with the first response. Use the recipe on the bottle of Karo's.

This Thanksgiving I was a little short on Karo's so I used maple syrup too. I also like chocolate chips in mine but not everyone does so I always make two. One traditional and one with chocolate.

I've made it with whiskey too, but the kids don't like it, so I haven't done that in a while.

Great tradition. Can't wait to see what you guys are making in ten years!

Excellent tradition, cmohr!

Pecan pie is my favorite!!! Plus, it's great to have those memories with your daughter. Good on ya!

What I do: use the basic pecan pie recipe on the back of the Karo syrup bottle as a general guide, then embellish. It's something like a cup of dark syrup, 3 eggs beaten, some vanilla, cup of sugar, and a couple tablespoonsful of melted butter. Mix the wet stuff, add pecans, place in a pie shell to bake for 50 or so minutes.

Embellishment: I generally add around 3 times whatever the recipe calls for of pecans, toss in some chocolate chips, sprinkle in some cinnamon, and bake till done. The pie has less of the gooey filling, but I figure pecan pie should feature pecans.

BTW: I don't make my own crust...when I've done the work to make crust, Pillsbury is as good as my best efforts. I blind bake the crust for ~10 mins, then add the filling.

Good luck!

Bruce
This is a good plan. I use the same basic recipe, and I too add chocolate and extra pecans.
It will make a nice pie.

Another vote for the recipe on the Karo bottle (use the dark): it's the classic, the standard. After a lifetime of messing around with "improvements", the only ones I can endorse are a rich, flaky crust and maybe, just maybe, a bit of very good Cognac. Bourbon's OK, and my normal drink of choice, but I like the mellowness and the fruitiness of the Cognac for this.

Karo syrup recipe here too. I salt and toast the pecans first though. It makes them a little crunchier. And you can't go wrong with the salty nuts and sweet filling.

Thanks for the input guys. I do appreciate it. She has been my shadow in the kitchen the moment she could climb up on the step stool and balance herself by the countertop. She wants to know everything there is to cook. Last year I built her own 30 gallon UDS that she cooks on at home and does Kids Q's on. You should have seen the look on my wife's face when I gave her her own chef's knife to help chop stuff with for prepping for dinner. Of course it also came with a pair of cut resistant gloves, I'm not that crazy :-D. Anyways, thank you again and have a Merry Christmas to all.

Over a period of a year I have made almost all of these:oops: Have not been disappointed yet http://pecanpierecipe.com/

Blu's Easy No Fail Flaky Pastry for The baking Challenged
*makes enough for 2 custard pies or 1 fruit pie recipe can be 1/2ed
2 cups of flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup milk
Method:
For the crust:
Mix flour and salt. Mix oil and milk. Pour oil and milk into flour and salt and stir until combined into a dough. Can add more milk if dry. Separate into two balls (save one ball for another pie). Roll crust out between two sheets of wax paper, line a buttered pie pan with crust.​

i've been using this recipe for a while. i never made the maple whipped cream for it and sometimes i'll make the dough for the crust but sometimes i'll buy frozen ones, they always come out good though. sometimes i add chocolate, sometimes i don't, and i reduce the booze to a teaspoon, i like it as a very subtle flavor. toasting the nuts too definitely helps with the flavor. the Lyle's Golden Syrup in the recipe is pricier than corn syrup, but it tastes great and you can use it in a BBQ sauce too

http://www.joyofbaking.com/printpages/pecanpieprint.html

Well, she had a great time making a pie this year. I did happen to go with Kyle's Joy of Baking Pecan Pie. We haven't dug into it. but it looks outstanding. Actually my 4 year old son wanted in so he made a Lemon Icebox pie. Thanks again for all the input and helping create the memories.

View attachment 105513

Last edited:
looks great Dan..hope you and the family had a great Christmas

Back