Ham Advice?

It doesn't take much, but thanks for putting visions of Nigella dancing in my head for the rest of the day....:icon_smile_tongue:

Anyway, sorry to answer a question with a question, but are you asking how to modify Nigella's method in order to get it to stay together? Or are you aking for a completely different taste and method?

If it's the latter then it's best to know the flavors enjoyed most by your family. Sweet? Savory? Savory with sweet?

Again, sorry for answering with questions.

Hello

I guess it fell apart due to cooking to long?

Thinking of a different method altogether, I saw the below on the amazingribs page:

(1) Inject and cook. Remove the skin if it is still on the leg and save it for cracklins. Inject it with my Pork Brine Injection. Coat it lightly with oil and then dust it liberally with Meathead's Memphis Dust. Roast on a rack over a pan filled with water, not in a pan of water, with smoke at 325°F and bring it up to 145°F in the deepest part (don't touch the bone with the probe). That will bring it in tender and moist and medium. Then put on two coats of Chris Lilly's Spiced Apricot Glaze or Danny Gaulden's Glaze. Start early and if it finishes early, hold it in a faux cambro. The results will be like an excellent storebought wet-cured ham, only juicier and better tasting.

Any thoughts?

PS - as for flavours, they like it all, they are just grateful that I'm doing the cooking:wink:

I'm a huge fan of Dr Pepper Ham - Whiskey Style I cook a ton of them!

ymjw.jpg

I have a whole semi boneless ham ,hickory smoked, water added that I'm going to cook on my Yoder pellet grill using Dr Chickens double smoked ham sauce..... I'm thinking 225 - 250F for 2 hours then bump to 275F till IT 135F ~ two more hours. What say you that are more experienced than I?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Not sure if this should be its own thread on not...I don't want to hijack :redface:

Last edited:
my family loves just the plain ham smoked with hickory wood.take it out of the wrapper and put the smoke to it.that is if you dont want it sweet.if you do put pineapple and glaze with some brown sugar.sometimes simple is the best.:thumb:

cooking one tomorrow on the smoker. Injected it with pineapple juice tonight and put it back in fridge. Tomorrow will add a rub of brown sugar and an applewood rib rub. Cook at 250 to 275 and spritz with more pineapple juice. Add more rub and foil at 120 degrees and cook for IT of 145 or so. I know this probably the way most start out but that's where I'm at

Google......egret's ham.It is a maple, bourbon Ham that can be used on a regular or spiral cut ham.I personally think spiral cut hams suck.I highly recommend this recipe on a real,uncut ham.I prefer a John Morel "EZ Cut" or HORMEL "Cure 81" yes ,my friends,there IS a difference.They are NOT in the bargain bins. But is sum TASTEE chit!

I guess i am real simple.... 1st off i do not like sweet or glazed hams at all... Just a preference thing to me... I cooked 5 smithfields today before going to the refinery tonite
I rubbed them a little with olive oil then sprinkled them with southern seasoning.. Cooked with hickory and white oak.... @ 250/ 275 degrees uncovered for... 2 hrs wrapped for another 2.5 hrs... They always come out great... We have been destroying one at work tonite... I know this is a simple boring way of doing it... Be we like it like that down here in Alabama

Back