Let's start an argument, I mean discussion

HOG FAN

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What does The Brethren have to say about which charcoal gives the ideal balance of consistent burn times and best flavor?

60/40 KBB n Hickory Chunks. The End. Next Thread. :becky:

I do prefer Stubbs (less ash less white smoke) but it aint never on the 1/2 price. With Lump in the UDS temps are up n down and overall shorter burn time.

I've used original kingsford competition kingsford and cowboy lump coal. I don't see much of a difference. Just my 2 cents

I've been using Royal Oak and Frontier and really like them both. For some reason I like lump better in my Backwoods. On my WSM I couldn't tell much of a difference if any from lump vs briquettes, but for some reason on my Backwoods I can tell :crazy:.

You didn't specify lump or briqs. I only use lump to start my offset and use Stubb's for everything else. Heb grand champion briqs are my backup.

My favorite line up is Ozark Oak and either Stubbs or Trader Joes all natural briquettes. Next is B&B. Honestly there are a plethora of great coals on the market but only one that I avoid.

Last edited:
I have found redgum charcoal to be the best available here.Best burn and flavor.

For briqs I like Trader Joe's charcoal, which is Rancher rebadged. It works great and it's cheap and easy to get. Once in a while I'll grab Royal Oak Chef Select when I'm picking up wood - it's around 15 bucks for a 40# bag and works well.

Lately I've been on a kick with Best of the West lump - mainly because it's cheap and easy to get too. It works plenty good. If I could get B&B or Wicked Good easily I'd probably be using those.

None of this gives as good a flavor as hickory in a stickburner though. :boxing:

60/40 KBB n Hickory Chunks. The End. Next Thread. :becky:

I do prefer Stubbs (less ash less white smoke) but it aint never on the 1/2 price. With Lump in the UDS temps are up n down and overall shorter burn time.

Smitty, your meat does not over smoke using that much wood? How long do you wait before putting the meat on. I have a scad of hickory firewood and may try it depending on your input.

Said it before but I'll say it again, just to arg...., uh discuss. My go to is my own homemade lump made with dry oak but for store bought I find Stubbs hard to beat. Consistently faster starts, better fires/heat and less ash (by a bunch) than KBB, Royal Oak or aby others I've tried. Get mine at Lowes.

Had nothin' but trouble with Cowboy lump.

I've been using Diablo lump from Costco to start up, then using nothing but wood splits from there out. Works for me.

Smitty, your meat does not over smoke using that much wood? How long do you wait before putting the meat on. I have a scad of hickory firewood and may try it depending on your input.

I wait 45 minutes ( lid half on) - I'm usually cooking on White Smoke but thats from the KBB and Water Pans. I have had a few Sissys say my Q is too Smoky Strong for them but Reg. People never have complained. :mrgreen:

That is how my Basket is ALL the Time in UDS and the Cabinet Smoker. I cant taste a Difference between my UDS cooks and my Stick Burner
cooks.

I like to run 300* and more wood chunks keeps the temps up. Lesser temps I'd run less chunks cuz they will smolder more than burn and so Smoky is Harsher at lower temps. :loco:

Now when I use Mesquite Chunks I DO use much less chunks.........

Last edited:
Said it before but I'll say it again, just to arg...., uh discuss. My go to is my own homemade lump made with dry oak but for store bought I find Stubbs hard to beat. Consistently faster starts, better fires/heat and less ash (by a bunch) than KBB, Royal Oak or aby others I've tried. Get mine at Lowes.

It's $1 less at Walmart unless it violates your principles.

Last edited:
Thanks for thread. I'm getting low!!
Sideways photo, wind is blowing ��

Last edited:
Since nobody said it. I love Humphrey's lump.

Trader Joes for briqs.

Kingsford Comp. Not much more expensive than KBB, but much better quality and a lot less ash.

Back