"Happy Phriday Pharkers,what's Smoking this Weekend?"

Buttermilk chili chicken tomorrow.

i'm cooking ribeyes tonight and this weekend, i'm making a recipe from southern living magazine....beer braised pot roast served over grits.....i will use a grill to do the roast and i'll choose a different stout beer.

1 pound small carrots with tops, peeled
1 (3- to 4-lb.) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons instant dark roast coffee
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons tomato paste

4 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 (12-oz.) bottles stout beer
  • 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 (1-oz.) containers home-style concentrated beef stock (from a 4.66-oz. package)
  • 2 pounds pearl onions
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • Hot cooked grits
  • Garnish: fresh thyme sprigs
1. Cut tops from carrots, leaving 1 inch of greenery on each. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. Rub coffee over roast, and let stand at room temperature 10 minutes. Cook roast in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until browned, reserving drippings in skillet. Place roast in a 6-qt. slow cooker.
2. Add tomato paste and garlic to hot drippings, and sauté 1 minute. Slowly add beer, whisking constantly. Stir in thyme and concentrated beef stock; bring to a boil. Boil, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until mixture reduces to about 3 cups.
3. Pour beer mixture over roast. Top roast with onions and carrots. Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours or until roast is fork-tender. Transfer roast to a serving platter, and shred into large chunks, discarding any large pieces of fat. Spoon vegetables onto platter around roast.
4. Skim fat from cooking liquid; transfer cooking liquid to a large saucepan. Whisk in vinegar. Whisk together cornstarch and 2 Tbsp. water in a small bowl until smooth; add to mixture in pan, stirring until blended. Bring mixture to a boil, and boil, whisking often, 1 minute or until sauce reaches desired thickness. Serve sauce with roast, vegetables, and hot cooked grits.
Note: We tested with Guinness Extra Stout beer and Knorr Homestyle Concentrated Beef Stock.

I have a small pork butt in the fridge that I may throw on the pooper. I also may skip this weekend and cook it along with a bunch of leg quarters (Albertsons has them on sale for $0.49/lb) in the offset next week.

Putting an 11lb butt in the Smokin-it tomorrow night, let er ride till Sun, bout noon.

I'm in the same boat Billy. I'm between a small butt or some leg quarters. Wait......are we still takin Q? And then undecided on whether to do a rub on the butt or Mojo. Leaning towards the rub on butt with a Guava Marmalade glaze at the end.

Happy Phriday!

I gave my daughter one of my old offset's and she is having us over for chicken her second time using it! I think I will make some MOINK balls, I have never had them before but they sound great. I thought I could use them as an excuse to help her get her temp set up before she puts on the chicken!! She is excited about cooking for us and I hope it goes better then her first try with 2 briskets!! I tried to get her to just start small and work her way up but she went all out and invited a bunch of her friends over to eat at 6:00! She didn't watch her temp and had to finish the brisket in the oven it was after 10:00 PM when they finally ate. I think chicken will be a lot better choice for her patience level as a beginner!!

Rick!!

On Sat. some pig candy and kielbasa and eye-talian sausage to take to some Phamily, and on Sun. a Phew racks of ribs and a couple pork butts for Phamily that's coming over. Phamily and Phood weekend!

Have a great weekend Phu, crew, and the rest of y'all!

I want to line up some Guiness because I have a moose roast I would like to do a pepper stout beef thing with. I saw a video recently and it really looks good.

Hope to make some of Sam3's BBQ Pork Lo Mein.
The week has been busy for me, I'm hoping to have a quiet weekend at home. :grin:
Have a great weekend Phu and everyone!

pork ribs (spares? backs?) and chicken wings going on tomorrow early afternoon. still stumped on the sides, though.

edit: just saw online that spares are on sale at tom thumb - spares it is.

Last edited:
Ribs for sure. Although putting a new gas range put in the house so my time may be limited depending on what I fark up.

I told myself I wasn't going to do anything this weekend....then my Weed Dragon propane torch showed up. Now I HAVE to do something in order to see how it works....oh well, I tried :wink:

Just rolled back to the US... spending time with family in VA. Momma requested a couple of fatties to help stock the freezer for after I depart, and some wings for Saturday dinner.

Have a great weekend, folks!

Well, I'm glad you asked. I'm sitting here like a kid on Christmas eve because my Pitmaker BBQ Vault is ready for pickup tomorrow.

My menu for Sunday is 2 small tri-tips, a pork butt and rack of spares. Friends coming over might bring the odd additional item to throw in the smoker.

The tri-tips and pork butt will probably just get salt an pepper, but I'm going to throw some Habenero Death Dust from Oakridge BBQ on the spares. I think they're going to turn out great.

I also have a corned brisket in the freezer and I'm thinking about smoking it to make pastrami, but I've never done it before, so might hold off on that until later. I probably have more food than people to eat it as it is...

Back