Food dehydrators

Bigr314

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am wanting to start making beef jerky. Any help on buying a food dehydrator would help me out a great deal. I have never owned one. Thanks.

I have a cheapy nesco dehydrator. It makes great jerky but can only do about 2 lbs of raw meat at a time on the 4 trays it comes with.

I have a cheapy nesco dehydrator. It makes great jerky but can only do about 2 lbs of raw meat at a time on the 4 trays it comes with.
I have one of the larger Nesco dehydrators, Model FD1010 Gardenmaster. I was fairly economical (around $100) and does a great job on jerky, peppers, herbs & spices, etc.

The main thing you want is variable temperature controls.

Been going strong or about 4 years now.

Not an Excaliber, but a good unit.

VR,
Harold

Expandable up to 12 trays with a temp adjustment up to 160 for jerky. Great product, works great. I would buy another. I currently use mine with 11 trays.

Make sure to try some watermelon jerky. Kids love it. Slice your watermelon into about 1 1/2" thick slices. Cut off the rind. Then cut into about 3/8" thick slices, put just a little bit of kosher salt on them and dehydrate. Probably about 12 hours at 135-140.

I've used a dehydrator for years. But only for fruit and tomatoes. For jerky I use the kitchen oven. The racks are perfect for hanging the jerky. A piece of foil over the heat coils makes clean up simple. Perfect temp control and leave the door open a little like in broiling.

Back