Tell me about cooking full spares....

SlowSmoked

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Going to do my first rib cook on the new weber kettle 26 tomorrow.... have only done baby backs and st louis on other smokers. What is the finish product like when a rack of full spares is cooked untrimmed? Tell me your experiences and post picks if you have them...thx

Honestly full spares are my favorite. Better price than st. louis cut. I will either cook and serve as is (removing the membrane only) or cook then trim to st. louis cut and have rib tips as well as this is how I like my rib tips cooked.

Like above but I don't skin 'em 275 4 hrs or until they pass the bend test.

I love full spares and my wife really likes how the tips included.

Whole spares,,,the O.G. Of smoked ribs.Where it all started.BB's are for Yuppies.

Love whole spares. That's what I grew up on. SLC when company/ not family is over. And of course BB for the wifey

One thing I have discovered....spares really do well without being wrapped. In fact, better if you do not wrap. Just seasoned them up and put them on. I roll at about 275* +/-.

Also find that large spares (5 lbs +) come out more juicy and flavorful due to the increased fat content from the larger hog.

I have a couple of full spare racks going now (2 hrs in)... so foil or no foil? cooking on a weber kettle 26 with snake

Agreed w/ dads.....no foil for these.......make sure you get the temp up around 260 or so at Meat Level (<<technical term).........

FathersDay2013013.jpg

Rotate some so the big headbone stays toward the hottest part of the burn, esp. if it's real thick.....

FathersDay2013004.jpg

....just rotate the whole grate......

...bend test late in the game.....

FathersDay2013014.jpg

Back