How to Cook a Perfect Prime Rib

That makes great sense. Low and slow on the pit and hot as hell in the oven....(for those of us that don't have a ceramic cooker.......yet)

Maybe it will make some people rethink the hot and fast method? :)

Apples and oranges

Hot and fast is for tough cuts of meats to break down and be tender. Prime rib benefits low and slow to get an even rare, mid rare, or medium cook evenly across the roast before a final sear.

I think the cook temp plays a roll in the time it takes to reach temp, which gives the cook some time to recover, Pulling at 120 versus 122 is not a big deal and if you cook at a lower temp that could be 15-20 mins. Cooking at a higher temp that could be alot less, note I have not timed this. However, I like the reverse sear rest method. I have a test roast planned for this week.

Quick question. Cooking at 225, what would the time range be to get a 12lb prime rib to 120?

I saw Alton Brown do it this way several years ago. I've been cooking my prime rib that way since.

That's exactly how I do my prime ribs.

Not only does it get it perfect, it also makes it MUCH easier to get the timing right for guests. You have an hour window of finishing up sides and garnishes while the roast rests.

Enjoyed the read - gave me some ideas and food for thought :)

So is this the Cliff's Notes version:

Cook low to 125 internal, pull and rest, heat oven or smoker to HOT HOT and cook for approx 8 minutes or until crust is good?

I found this article before doing my first rib roast. Turned out fantastic. I've done it twice now and have had great results each time. You can vary the temp you pull it off at depending on how done your guests like it. It was pretty much perfect for me at 125, but my wife probably would have rather had 130.

Does anyone know how long it would take to cook a 2,3 or 4 bone in prime rib at 200 degrees till medium rare?

Insanely great article I just finished reading — thought I would share. Has a lot of information that applies to more than prime rib.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/the-food-lab-how-to-cook-roast-a-perfect-prime-rib.html

I got a pretty much this method from a Cook's Illustrated article a while back and have been doing it this way with great results. It would take a lot of convincing for me to try a different method.

That thing about salting 4 days ahead is very interesting. Due to a busy fridge this fall, I wasn't able to dry age my roast this year. I just bought my roast last night. I may try that salt thing for this one. I've noticed that beef and salt is delicious.

I have cooked this way, for most of my adult life. It killed my mom, who was a sear first person. However, we converted and it was fine. The thing about it, it isn't number of bones, it is total weight of roast.

My timing has been 5 hours at 225°F for a 7 to 9 pound roast. Note that in the last 5 or 6 times, the cooks have been during the winter, in the rain, with outside temperatures in the low to mid 50°'s.

I forgot to add that my friends and family like their roast a bit more red so I usually stop around 117 before the rest.

Back