sous vide prime rib

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
we decided to make ham for Easter but I couldn't help getting a rib roast on sale. decided to make it for a late dinner Saturday. we had a lot to do and I didn't even know when dinner would be. figured it would be a good time to try the sous vide to cook the roast as it could cook all day and then I could just sear it when we were ready.

this is the 2nd time in a row I tried something new, last cook was the method x or closed oven method. both turned out great. the sous vide rendered the fat well and the prime rib was evenly cooked and tender. best thing about this as well as the method x is how it removes all the stress from the timing of the cook. I'm a big fan of that, it's a big part of why I developed my hot holding brisket technique.

sadly I did not take any pics. I have resigned myself to the fact that I have lost most interest in documenting cooks and posting on them. guess that's just where I'm at in the life cycle of the forum.

just wanted to share another way to prepare a standing rib roast that involves zero stress

happy Easter

I'm really glad yours turned out well. I'm not a photo guy, but I think our roast was entering the pool about the time you hit 'Send' or whatever. I hope it's ready for the vortex at about 6pm.

Have not used mine for a couple years. not sure where it's even at?

Sounds like a good reason to water bath!

Have not used mine for a couple years. not sure where it's even at?

Sounds like a good reason to water bath!

I probably use mine 4 times a year. It's either for timing purposes like here or just playing around with experiments. It does poach a mean egg. I'll also occasionally use it to safely undercook a pork chop. Something about a 135 degree chop that does it for me. The hot tube just eliminates the risk involved

Sounds Great Steve. I see your pancake art. Those Pics look Great

Thanks George. It's the most fun cooking I've had in a while. Sunday breakfast was our thing since her 1st meal. It just morphed into what it is. Willow is an amazing kid.

That’s what I did for Christmas. Relatively stress free holiday; completely agree. Matter of fact we defrosted and ate the rest via sous vide as prime rib dip sandwiches last night. So good!

Happy Easter!

That’s what I did for Christmas. Relatively stress free holiday; completely agree. Matter of fact we defrosted and ate the rest via sous vide as prime rib dip sandwiches last night. So good!

Happy Easter!

that's awesome. I just ate a thick slice pan seared and a heaping helping of hot ham with melted cheddar. had the munchies fierce...should probably get to bed, I have to up in five hours

happy Easter

I made one of these for Easter dinner, and for the same reasons, didn't know when we would be eating, and didn't want to have to stress about it.

So Saturday night I trimmed up the prime rib, cut off the fat cap and silver skin, and trimmed down the fat on the bones to something that would render. Pulled out the Franklin BBQ rub (only the second time I have used it) and gave it a nice light coat, along with fresh black pepper and some additional salt (since it was a big cut of meat). Put in a bunch of springs of fresh thyme and fresh rosemary and a couple tablespoons of butter into a vacuum seal bag with the rib roast and sealed it all up.

I debated letting it dry brine overnight or to just seal it, but decided to seal it since I was cooking at my parent's house and just wanted to have everything all prepped and ready to go for Easter. Took it over to their house and set up the sous vide before we left for Easter Mass. When everyone was ready to eat, and the rest of the side dishes were pretty much ready, I pulled it out, saved the juices, and dried the roast off before giving it a real good sear on my dad's old Weber with the new Weber 7666 stainless steel charcoal heat controller that he picked up a week or two ago.

Worked like a champ, and a lot more stable than my old method of lighting a chimney full of coals and sticking one of the round sear insert grates over it. My only issue with the cook was that I forgot to bring my carving knives with me... Ended up having to use a newer electric knife they had bought a couple months ago (as every carving knife I pulled out was dull and was tearing the tender meat instead of cutting it). I need to use this as a physical note to myself to take their knives and spend an afternoon sharpening them like I do with mine (several years ago I picked up a TSProf K03 to really put a proper angle on and maintain my knives).

Back