How to Cook a Perfect Prime Rib

Great info. I saw a guy do some thick steaks like that too on one of the channels. I like the resting before searing the best.

Makes great sense, especially since my OTS rocks on well at 200 degrees just like an oven! I have in fact done this many times, including the rest period using the Brethrens favorite: wrap the meat in foil and place in an ice chest method. Then either open the Weber up, or if your coals die, add a new chimney of coals to sear. Because my sister and her family have no taste I cook the roast to 135 resulting in medium. Still taste great and this is our families Christmas Tradition.

I have cooked this way, for most of my adult life. It killed my mom, who was a sear first person. However, we converted and it was fine. The thing about it, it isn't number of bones, it is total weight of roast.

My timing has been 5 hours at 225°F for a 7 to 9 pound roast. Note that in the last 5 or 6 times, the cooks have been during the winter, in the rain, with outside temperatures in the low to mid 50°'s.

Hate to disagree with you landarc, but it's neither the number of bones nor the weight but rather the thickness of the loin that determines the cook time. A whole 7bone 16lb ribeye that is 5 inches thick will take less time to cook than a 10lb 4 bone 1/2 ribeye that is 7 inches thick.

so how long approx for 7 bones 20 lbs prime rib at 250 degrees?

I would take a slice of that prime rib and grill it till it's cooked. I hate raw meat.

so how long approx for 7 bones 20 lbs prime rib at 250 degrees?

Presuming the PR is coming just about right out of the fridge, I'd estimate 4 - 5 hours to hit 130/135ish.

Keep an eye on internal temps starting at the 2 hour mark. You should get a good feel at that point how quickly the IT is rising and whether the roast is cooking too fast, to slow, or right on time for your schedule. If too fast, drop the chamber temp. If too slow, raise it up just a bit.

Be sure to factor in about 30 mins of rest time and also whether you are going to reverse sear or not.

If something weird happens and the roast finishes way ahead of schedule, wrap and hold it in a cooler or warm your oven up to it's lowest setting, put the PR in and turn the oven off.

I'm cooking a 15lb prime rib tomorrow. Serving around 6pm. Should I expect it to hit ~120 within 4-5 hours at 200? I plan on letting it warm up on the counter for 2-3 hours first.

Regarding the questions of cooking times:

I've kept decent notes over the years and found that it is pretty consistently done in just under 4 hours to almost 5 hours at 200-225 degrees, regardless of the total weight.

It makes sense - regardless of the weight, they are almost the same thickness, just different lengths, so you get pretty similar times.

I plan for a bit over 4 hours for 4-7 pounders, while I allow closer to 5 hours for anything over about 10 pounds. Then plan for the rest, ramp up and sear after that. This is assuming the Roast is fairly close to refrigerator temps before it goes in and the smoker/over is fairly stable (long preheat)

Wonder if this would work well with a tenderloin?

I'm doing one next week for the family...

This is an excellent article, (Serious Eats has some great content) and what he's describing is more or less a reverse sear, although with a fairly tight control on temp in the first part of the cook.

The one essential thing he didn't touch on(although I'm certain he did it as the meat wouldn't have come out so evenly cooked) is the roast needs to be fully at room temp when it goes on the cooker.

This is an excellent article, (Serious Eats has some great content) and what he's describing is more or less a reverse sear, although with a fairly tight control on temp in the first part of the cook.

The one essential thing he didn't touch on(although I'm certain he did it as the meat wouldn't have come out so evenly cooked) is the roast needs to be fully at room temp when it goes on the cooker.

I used to think the same thing but found that it makes absolutely no difference when cooking a roast like this. I go from the fridge to the counter, coat with seasonings then straight into the smoker.

I used to think the same thing but found that it makes absolutely no difference when cooking a roast like this. I go from the fridge to the counter, coat with seasonings then straight into the smoker.

I had two really disappointing roast cooks that were the result of meat that was too cold(at least so I thought), but found this:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

I may need to check this out some more...

I had two really disappointing roast cooks that were the result of meat that was too cold(at least so I thought), but found this:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

I may need to check this out some more...

My learning moment was the reverse. I was running behind one day and couldn't set the roast out to come to room temp. I seasoned it and stuck it in the smoker. Maverick probe in the heart of it read 38 degrees. I fretted during the entire cook lamenting the fact that I wouldn't have a nice edge to edge color and that the roast would turn out kind of tough. I was completely wrong.

I will say that I think the theory might still hold to be kind of true if cooking at a high temperature, but I have no desire to try and test it out :tongue:

My learning moment was the reverse. I was running behind one day and couldn't set the roast out to come to room temp. I seasoned it and stuck it in the smoker. Maverick probe in the heart of it read 38 degrees. I fretted during the entire cook lamenting the fact that I wouldn't have a nice edge to edge color and that the roast would turn out kind of tough. I was completely wrong.

I will say that I think the theory might still hold to be kind of true if cooking at a high temperature, but I have no desire to try and test it out :tongue:

Maybe you're on to something: both cooks I mentioned were done at high heat, maybe around 300ish indirect. One was a tri-tip, the other a pork rib roast. I've done both a zillion times, but with these two cooks the meat was fairly cold when I put it on. By the time the internal temp of the middle was done, the outer part was WAY overdone. Guess I took a hit for the team with these two cooks...

:biggrin1:

this is a great thread, especially during the holidays, when many are doing prime rib or rib eye roasts.

Those are both great write ups.
I have done mine on my MAK pellet grill for a number of years at 225 and pulled at 130 IT. I then wrap in foil towels put in a Cambro/Ice chest for up to 4 hours. Perfect medium rare every time after a major sear on the Weber right before dinner.

Back