Baby brisket

Wood Fire Steel

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have never smoked a brisket despite hundreds of pork butts, shoulders, chicken and deer. In my part of Georgia brisket prices run $6/# and up. Being just my wife and me it does not make sense to spend the $$ on a 15-20# brisket just to say I have. Well I stumbled across some sectioned flats the other day on sell. So Sunday is brisket day. I have read about cooking brisket numerous times, but my question is... Does the time change drastically for a 5-6# flat over a full flat? I have all day to smoke so I am not concerned with getting it done quick. I am cncerned with dinner being done at 3p because it cook way faster than I planned. Thoughts on temp and time for a 6# flat.

Maybe a little quicker than a bigger cut but not enough to worry about.

Thickness is more of a factor, in my opinion, than overall weight.

Also, brisket can keep wrapped in a cooler or a 150* oven for several hours. Heck it will get better as it rests. Just make sore it doesn't get down to room temp and stay that way for 4 hours. Aaron Fanklin thinks brisket shout be sliced at 143*(or something very close to that).

Thickness is more of a factor, in my opinion, than overall weight.

Also, brisket can keep wrapped in a cooler or a 150* oven for several hours. Heck it will get better as it rests. Just make sore it doesn't get down to room temp and stay that way for 4 hours. Aaron Fanklin thinks brisket shout be sliced at 143*(or something very close to that).

^^^^^ This.

A 5 lb partial flat that is 8 inches wide, 6 inches long and 2 inches thick will take just as long as a 10lb full flat that is 8 inches wide, 12 inches long and 2 inches thick .

Or, put another way, if you have a 10lb flat that is 8 x 12 x 2 inches thick and you chop half of it off, you won't reduce the cooking time one bit as the thickness of the cut is what determines the cook time.

The one caveat here is that flats tend to taper down a bit. It might not seem like much, but going from 2 inches to 1.5 inches is a 25% reduction in size, and would affect the cook time.

I buy the flats at Sam's club ( that is all they sell here at the one I go to). Typical cook time avg. 275* is 5 to 7 hrs. The wife and I really prefer to use the flat for brisket reuben sandwiches or French dips. I don't slice the meat like most do, more of an angle across the grain.

Some times I pan the flat around the 5 hr mark, but not always.

Back