Please school me on good grits.

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I suddenly got a taste for grits of all things, something I have not had in many moons. I found some quick grits that must be 15 years old so looking on the web for receipts I see grits being mentioned as if there are different kinds, can someone tell me what I should I look for, like brands, white or yellow instant, regular grits. Not needing recipes at this time maybe later. Thanks in advance.
Dave

Check out bradleyscountrystore.com. They grind about the best grits you will ever find. They do both white and yellow and they are delicious. And as stated before it takes 30 - 45 minutes to cook them but it is worth the time. I make them then add some grated cheese at the end. fry a couple eggs up and you have a whole meal. I usually order 6-8 bags at a time and keep them in the freezer.

I prefer stone ground.There are several good brands on the internet.We have a local guy making them now but his are not available on the "net".PM your address and I will gladly mail you a bag of them.

Just look for stone ground grits. As long as they are fresh they should be decent. I like Nora mills stone ground grits from Hellen Georgia( both yellow and white are good). Order some pioneers porridge. That stuff is amazing. Store in the freezer. I am a grits snob so I say this with caution... please don't take my southerner card. The best grits I have ever eaten are instant. Gasp....but true. The flying biscuit in Atlanta has the best grits and they are instant . You can google and find where they give their recipe. I have done it and they taste equally as good at home.

Brethren Armor's (Mike's) family mill makes the best grits I've tasted.
The Amherst Milling Company, Amherst VA.

001_zpsc4468cd4.jpg

I am impressed that half of the replies to this post are from non-southerners, at least according to the location tags. I guess we are all southerners at heart:thumb: Now I want cheese grits.

What's not to love about grits. My favorite are plain grits topped with fried eggs (soft runny yokes) and homemade strawberry jam, then mix it all together.

I am impressed that half of the replies to this post are from non-southerners, at least according to the location tags. I guess we are all southerners at heart:thumb: Now I want cheese grits.

My family is from Mississippi and Louisiana. I grew up on grits! :-D

I bet you can find a old mill there in Missouri that grind their own corn meal, grits and flour. That would be the best and freshest place to buy a bag of grits. Grits are kinda like chicken that they can take on a lot of different flavors from what you add/like -cheddar or blue cheese, butter, bacon, scallions, chipotles, smoked shrimp, country ham, baked ham chunks etc. I tried adding chicken stock as the liquid you cook them in and turned out good. But the best is stone ground with salt and black pepper and a big ole chunk of butter.

If you can find Jim Dandy grits, get 'em. Mama used 'em, I've used 'em for over 45 years. Nuttin' fancy, just cook, lots of butter, eat. I think I'll have some this morning. Kroger has 'em here, Walmart in some stores, but not here.

First thing to know is that there's a difference between instant grits and quick grits. Quick grits take about 5 minutes and can be as tasty as regular grits, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Instant grits are premade and dehydrated. If you're going to eat instant grits, you might as well eat the package they came in, it is equivalent in flavor.

There is even a dude down here,in the delta,selling rice grits.I have not tried them yet.

I've had them. They are just the broken rice bits that they can't sale . It's a brilliant plan to sell byproduct in an artisanal way. In the end it is rice though.

At least thats what i think.

Back