$2500ish budget

Still open to more suggestions.

I'm awaiting more pictures of that bandit trailer.( I can't find much info on that particular gator pit.)
LOVE the Shirley but the wait and distance is problematic (still very much in the running)

I think I will be bored with the Humphreys. It's too much like an oven. Now I'm sure after using a stick burner for a couple years I will reverse this statement...

Lonestar is about 700ish for shipping to a terminal up here. I'm sure that's about the same for all the texas pit makers.

My head is spinning!

I'm keeping a close eye on this thread as I'm in the same boat with a similar budget (3k) :grin:

My top 2 candidates are LSG and Shirley. I'm looking for a horizontal offset w/ warmer box and 1/2" fire box. They both look amazing.

Besides the build quality and size (again, they both look really well made), my main two considerations are price (value) and RF vs. standard offset.

I have yet to actually contact both manufactures, but from reading posts and visiting websites, they look like they are comparable in price (w/ maybe a Shirley being a slightly better value when you factor in the LSG add-ons like warmer and 1/2" firebox etc). Also, not not sure what the difference in shipping will be to CO.

Then there is the RF vs standard flow. I've only cooked on a standard off-set so I don't know how they differ from a cooking standpoint.

Having talked to both manufactures, I'm curious to hear what your pros/cons are when comparing a Shirley to an LSG?

I'm keeping a close eye on this thread as I'm in the same boat with a similar budget (3k) :grin:

My top 2 candidates are LSG and Shirley. I'm looking for a horizontal offset w/ warmer box and 1/2" fire box. They both look amazing.

Besides the build quality and size (again, they both look really well made), my main two considerations are price (value) and RF vs. standard offset.

I have yet to actually contact both manufactures, but from reading posts and visiting websites, they look like they are comparable in price (w/ maybe a Shirley being a slightly better value when you factor in the LSG add-ons like warmer and 1/2" firebox etc). Also, not not sure what the difference in shipping will be to CO.

Then there is the RF vs standard flow. I've only cooked on a standard off-set so I don't know how they differ from a cooking standpoint.

Having talked to both manufactures, I'm curious to hear what your pros/cons are when comparing a Shirley to an LSG?

I was in exactly the same situation a few months ago. I had narrowed the field to Shirley Fab and LSG. When I finally decided to go with a vertical offset design due to space limitations, that made LSG the winner by default, since Shirley Fab doesn't offer a vertical offset at this time. In my view, reverse flow vs conventional offset with tuning plates really isn't much of a factor. I believe both designs are capable of turning out equally good chow once the owner learns his/her pit. Now all I need is for Chris or April to call and tell me it's time for a road trip to Willis!

My shirley is going to be 24x50 with 4 racks in the main chamber. That should save you some space and get you some extra capacity. Not quite a vertical offset but kind of a mix of the best of both.

4 racks and cabinet doors I imagine? Still getting a warmer?

The great thing about the shirley cookers (from what I I've read and watched) is the design is so versatile. With a simple option of adding the firebox to warmer damper you get 3 cookers for the price of one. use it reverse flow, charcoal minion in the warmer or open up the damper and use it as a vertical cooker. That's ALOT of quality cooker for about the same price as a backyard Jambo.

I just haven't come to grips with waiting in such a long line for one. But i may have to soon

The great thing about the shirley cookers (from what I I've read and watched) is the design is so versatile. With a simple option of adding the firebox to warmer damper you get 3 cookers for the price of one. use it reverse flow, charcoal minion in the warmer or open up the damper and use it as a vertical cooker. That's ALOT of quality cooker for about the same price as a backyard Jambo.

I just haven't come to grips with waiting in such a long line for one. But i may have to soon

I actually see the line as a good thing. It gives you time to get everything exactly like you want it and there's no temptation to just settle for what's available.

Plus who knows ... in the 6 months you're waiting maybe you'll come up with an extra 500 dollars and decide you want a stainless shelf after all, or something like that.

Yes, 4 racks, cabinet doors and warmer. Agree on the versatility. If you had put your small deposit down 6 months ago your cooker would be ready by now.:heh:

I actually see the line as a good thing. It gives you time to get everything exactly like you want it and there's no temptation to just settle for what's available.

Plus who knows ... in the 6 months you're waiting maybe you'll come up with an extra 500 dollars and decide you want a stainless shelf after all, or something like that.
I have said this ^^^ before. I know that if I had ordered my SF and it was built within a month I would have a regular cook chamber without some of the options that I added later and would probably not be 100% happy with my purchase. Not that I wouldn't love it but I would not have had time to really think about my options.

Another scenario is that in the months waiting life can happen and you have time to either re-save the money, delete options or put the build off a couple of months. This has happened to several guys here. Either way Paul will do whatever you need. He has even had someone's build completely done to find out that life happened and they could not get the cooker at that time. It sold the same day if I remember correctly.

Yes, 4 racks, cabinet doors and warmer. Agree on the versatility. If you had put your small deposit down 6 months ago your cooker would be ready by now.:heh:

I have said this ^^^ before. I know that if I had ordered my SF and it was built within a month I would have a regular cook chamber without some of the options that I added later and would probably not be 100% happy with my purchase. Not that I wouldn't love it but I would not have had time to really think about my options.

Another scenario is that in the months waiting life can happen and you have time to either re-save the money, delete options or put the build off a couple of months. This has happened to several guys here. Either way Paul will do whatever you need. He has even had someone's build completely done to find out that life happened and they could not get the cooker at that time. It sold the same day if I remember correctly.

+1 on the build wait. In the 4 months it took my smoker to be built I had concrete laid in the backyard to house the smoker and the rest of my toys, bought a wood rack, I found a source and ordered wood just to name a few things. May sound simple enough but all of that took time to arrange. Plus the million times I changed my mind and made additions to the smoker.

Back