Pbfc!

AClarke44

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm sure most of you have heard of (or made) KFC, Kettle Fried Chicken. I've done it in the Kettle and it was good. So, I decided to see what the PBC could do. Therefore I made PBFC, Pit Barrel Fried Chicken! :mrgreen:

I wanted to cook all thighs because I wanted everything to be done about the same time, and the dark meat is more forgiving if they get over cooked :loco:....
I started by soaking the thighs overnight in buttermilk seasoned with Tony Chachere's.

20161022_154401_zps3yvavjyt.jpg

While the PBC was coming up to temp (it gets there fast, usually only 15 min) I removed the thighs from the buttermilk and dredged them in a dry chicken batter. Louisiana brand (anything from Louisiana is good!).

cf51d8c5-b4e9-45fa-9fe4-e33a4cd37b43_zpsjgoxnxva.jpg

20161022_161005_zpsrmf3ztov.jpg

The PBC was a little hot when I was finished battering the chicken but it didnt take long to get it back down. I did fight with temps throughout the cook, but it was pretty windy outside and I was trying to cook much hotter than I usually do. I was shooting for 340-350....Eventually I was able to hit pretty close to that target.....

20161022_162533_zpszzj9hsxe.jpg

I wasn't paying attention to timing but here they are cooking away. At this point I was a tad worried how they would turn out....:shock:

20161022_170725_zpsdrbbaa8d.jpg

I decided to flip them over for a few minutes to get some of the rendering fat into the batter on the chicken skin side. Not sure if I needed to do this or not and I didnt leave them that way long. When I flipped them back over they started to look good!

20161022_172639_zpskh91xe15.jpg

Not too long after the above pic I decided they were done. I did an IT check just to make sure they were over 165 and most read 185-190. Not a problem at all for thighs! They looked great here. A couple got a tad too brown, but at this point I couldn't wait to taste them! :hungry:

20161022_173808_zpsxay84jf1.jpg

20161022_173814_zpsae2mmj8l.jpg

Man this chicken looked and smelled great! I rushed to get a plate together so I could taste it!

IMG_0920_zpsds1ikcee.jpg

IMG_0919_zpsgeggpvvb.jpg

Boy was this worth doing! The chicken tasted just like fried chicken but with a slight grilled taste and absolutely NO oil used. They were juicy and had a good crunch to them. I will definitely do this again. I think the key is getting the cooker temp up to about 350.....We all know this can be done in any cooker that can maintain those temps. I recommend you try this if you never have!
Now, Im gonna go eat the left overs as my mouth is watering just seeing the pictures again and thinking about how good it was! :becky::becky:

Thanks for looking! :thumb:

I agree, if I'd just had the picture to look at I would have thought you had fried them!

I love it!.....I don't eat fried chicken any more because of the oil, and my son and I do grilled fried wings on the Weber! Don't get no better than that.....and I will second, that anything by Louisiana is good!

Nice cook brother! :eusa_clap

Is definitely on my list to try. Looks mighty tasty!

Do it Bob! :thumb::becky: Thanks brother!

Looks fantastic, Andrew! Hard to tell it wasn't fried...

Thanks Moose! I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but afterward, I scanned the TD's to see if I'd get luck and there would be a chicken throw down....lol :mrgreen:

I agree, if I'd just had the picture to look at I would have thought you had fried them!

Thanks Norm! The flavor was pretty darn close as well!

I love it!.....I don't eat fried chicken any more because of the oil, and my son and I do grilled fried wings on the Weber! Don't get no better than that.....and I will second, that anything by Louisiana is good!

Nice cook brother! :eusa_clap

Thanks Cat! That batter is great because you don't have to add anything. Its seasoned perfectly for my tastes. I've made the same thing in the Kettle and it turned out great as well.

Perfection on a plate.

Thanks Marty! I'll send you a couple thighs :thumb:.....Oh wait, I ate them all....maybe next time :becky:

Hot damn, this looks great! I've gotta give this a shot, I had not heard of this yet!

Thanks Vertigo! It was fairly popular here a year or so ago with the Kettle owners. If you search KFC or Kettle Fried Chicken you'll probably find lots of awesome cook threads....
Yeah, give it a go! :thumb:

Back