season grill

Ok, for a serious answer. Some pits require initial seasoning and then maintenance seasoning. My WSM didn't "need" it. Just a burn out and then cook, and the seasoning builds as you cook. For the LSG I have on order, I will need to do an initial seasoning / burn in to set the paint. I haven't got all the instructions yet, but I think it will also need seasoning every use until it starts to set.

So yeah, what SSFT said... :wink:

Ok, now my grates has some rust spot here and there how do I get rid of that, I was told try and use oven cleaner then wash off then oil down and then burn and then re oil.

Just heat it up, brush it off, give it a quick spray/wipe with canola or veg oil, wait until it stops smoking, then start cooking. I've never washed a grill or smoker grate in my life. If there's food stuck on a smoker grate I might toss it on the gasser to burn it off before I get started but I never clean them when I'm done.

A stainless steel drill brush is good for spot cleaning. If it's really bad a soak in Zeps Industrial Purple will get it. Clean with fresh water and a brush after.

I wipe my grill grates with a paper towel soaked in corn oil before each cook, keeps them nice and non-stick.

Hi neighbor! Hefty B said it. A good wire brush will take care of most things on a grate.

If you don't have one, you can use aluminum foil in a pinch. Just wad it up and put some elbow grease into it. I do it all the time on my WSM.

I only seasoned a traeger and it was in the manual to do so. That's it. Never bothered with any other.

Back