Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Smokin in Steele Owatonna, MN 5/29-30

carlyle

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Contest time is fast approaching for our 8th annual event organized by Knights of Columbus for the benefit of Special Olympics - Who is going to be there?

Important updates:
$10,00 cash pay out from us. Pay to 10 places in each category + GC & RGC
In addition the Fareway Foods Challenge is back - $500 additional cash and prizes to each of the 4 category winners if you bought that meat at Fareway.
Verified at meat inspection . May purchase at any Fareway.
Phone for the Owatonna Fareway Meat Department 507-451-0071
You may browse and pick , but early shoppers have best selection.
If you were in Central IA BBQ at Boone- your best score of the back to back plus your Smokin in Steele score added together. Top cumulative score gets free entry to each contest in 2016 ( one day of Boone).

We will be raffling off 2 Yeti coolers ( Tundra 65 and Tundra 50) and $100 Gift card to Fareway to benefit Special Olympics. $5 per ticket. Drawing at Awards.

Kids Q - $100 first place, $50 Second place, $25 third place to each age division. Free registration - Keep the grill- We furnish hamburger for 7-10 group and steak for 11-15 age group. Generous goody bags. Great sponsors.
See our website for details.

Backyard is almost sold out ( 20 team max).

As usual a free team breakfast Saturday morning.

In addition to our usual great music line up, Kids free harmonica lessons , 5K run, and antique tractor show, new this year is a family bicycle cruise and a hot rod show.

You are really missing out if you don't get here. Hurry to : www.smokininsteele.com and register if you haven't already done that.

It is going to be another great time! All that is missing is you.

Untraceable, Walt does not do advance assignments. If you have a request, send email

to info@ on the website. It will get to Walt and he will take good care of you.

Lucky 7's - saw your registration come thru and I smiled real big.

See both of you soon.

This one will be on my 2016 calendar. Was going to go this year but had to take a catering job that weekend. It was too much money not to and will finance lots of future competition BBQ. Gotta pay the bills first! I know a farmer in Northfield, MN that is willing to sponsor us all expenses to go, all I have to do is drive there after the contest and cook BBQ on sunday for his memorial day party. I will be taking him up on his offer in the future!

On the judging wait list.

gmag, next year sign up in January :clap2:. There's four contests that I jump on in January and this is one of them, good luck on getting in. PS - I happen to know that the judging coordinator doesn't always go strictly by sign-up times.

Last edited:
I have said it once I will say it again. If you have not been to Smokin In Steele do yourself a favor and come. This one gets better every year. Bring the family as there is lots of extra stuff going on for every one.

Looking forward to a good time and seeing everyone there.

well it looks like i need to go to this contest next year.

ynotehc- As of this morning we had 44 paid, and 5 registered but no check yet.
Looking at last years teams I expect another 20 in next 2 weeks.
Gmag - hang in there - you will get email update in a day or 2
Dave- can't wait to see you and visit. You are sure right I have my own criteria for selecting the order of bringing judges on. Time of application is not a factor in the decision at all.
Dustin - Thanks. Good luck this weekend at MN in May
Big Brad and Untraceable, looking forward to seeing you again. We love teams that come back year after year.
Hedge - Love to have you - what chu waiting for anyway??

Got some time to go - have judges in my back pocket just waiting for teams to register.
We have the room for you. It's a good time. Come on and register.

IWH- I will be happy to see your smiling face again.

Is your Iowa friend whose wife grew up in Leon going to be here too?

RMR - Won't have to wait long. Will be great to see you again.

Joe and I spent a fun night at MN in May visiting with all the teams. It was great spending
time with them.

Crossover thread comment: Congrats to Spitfire, Quetopia, and Totally Sauced for 1-2-3
finish. And to Jeff and crew for chicken champs and Nate for pork champ.
They all will be joining a bunch more teams in Owatonna on the 29th and 30th.
It is going to be a smokin good time.

Was reading minutes of KCBS Board meeting. Yeti is now the official cooler of KCBS.
We will be raffling off 2 Yeti coolers during Smokin in Steele. Just another added
incentive to come join the fun. There is still time.

IWH- 50 paid so far with almost 2 weeks left to go.

Looking at last years team list, there are still a lot of teams we have not heard from yet.

Still time and space left to get in on the fun and action.
Don't be left out. Register today.

Back