270 smoker question

Trunks

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Do any of the 270 owner have videos of there cooks and start up?

Can't find many on YouTube , Mia tog the. Just so an over view of the unit, I would love to see a vid from start to finish and the end result

Thanks fellas , hope someone can help me out

I do not have a video. Will have to possibly do that next week.

I'm not sure there is such a video at this time. There are several videos on YouTube going over different aspects of the cooker. I might be able to put something together for you in a couple of weeks as I am out of town this coming weekend. Or maybe I can talk Terry into doing a quick video.

I made a handful of videos of my 270 in action. I'm currently smoking a nice hunk of porkbelly. I'm also experimenting and using Academy Sports charcoal in lieu of my usual kbb. There was a thread last week breaking down charcoal and someone mentioned that the Academy brand is made by royal oak. So far so good. Took a little longer to get up to temps but it didnt produce that white smoke like kbb so thats interesting.

Anyways here are some videos. I didnt talk in them but wanted to show how i operate the 270 for a normal cook. Its a very easy cooker to maintain and produces some great bbq. I'm excited to do my first KCBS tourney (banjo bbq) this May using the 270.

I fill up the large disposable pan with about 6 quarts of hot water while I get my coals going. Once the coals ash over I'll dump them in the charcoal box and let the coals settle and get rid of the start up smoke. But the academy charcoal didnt produce as much which i noted above. However it took about an hour for my temps to get up to about 200ish. I threw 2 splits of hickory on and then put on the pork belly. Hoping to maintain 250 deg with the convection chimney method. These bellys take about 6 hours on my cooker.

Long winded so I apologize but any questions holler at me.

[ame]https://youtu.be/uGB9tT9SZ1o[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/B3YMZ_qUra8[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/oPUYlKqDTvw[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/Tmqtd2IaAPY[/ame]

+Which size is this one in the videos.?

Nevermind just heard you say Standard Size in the video. :thumb:

Thanks for posting the vid's, the 270 is a really nice smoker.

How did the pork belly turn out? What temp to you took that to?

Turned out really well! Took about 5 hours and 45 mins and internal temps ranged from 200-206. Probed like butter. Did an asian style taco for dinner. I had some hoisin chili sauce that i brushed on and then dressed some cole slaw with a mayo/sirachi concoction. Very good but the belly is rich. Will vac seal the rest tonight and will be eating on this for a while.

On a side note I might be a convert with this academy charcoal. A lot less ash and not all burned up. Good deal for the price; $5.99 for 16/lbs.

9E3AF7AC-5C94-473A-907D-BDD7A5648C74_zpsj8qam9zc.jpg

CF04A625-46AC-4B2D-8D52-1245186FBD04_zps1kgnej6k.jpg

11847576_10153443977037489_629909371_o_zpsx5fxfuvy.jpg

I can never find Pork Belly, that looks really good Mark and I forgot to mention it looks like you got your Pit good and seasoned up :thumb:

Brisket times on a 270

I bought my 270 Standard last Saturday and I'm excited to do my first cook around ten tonight for lunch time or early afternoon serving tomorrow. I am going to cook a 14 lb prime packer which I pre-separated and applied rub to yesterday. My method on my XL BGE is to cook at 270 or so with the point laying next to the flat until I get a good bark and then wrapping in parchment paper until I hit 203 IT or so.
My plan is to cook at close to 275 and I am guessing it ought to go 6-8 hours before I wrap and another 2-4 after that. I have seen Bludawg talk about his briskets being done in 5-6 hours total time at similar temps and I'm left scratching my head. My briskets on my BGE turn out moist. I just don't see how his can be done that quickly but I will worry about mine and not his. For those of you who have cooked larger briskets on a 270 smoker, does this sound about right?
I intend to snake my probe from my DigiQ down the chimney per the 270 manual and monitor ITs and like Aaron Franklin says, it is done when it's done. At about 190 I will check the meat for feel/flex and probe for the sliding sensation rather than just absolutely going for 203. I am just wondering if I am way off on the anticipated cook time with the 270.
At around 8:00 am I will be adding three racks of ribs and two beef plates and I am sure opening the door here and there will set me back an hour of total time too.

Bludawg cooks at 300 fat cap down the wraps at 4hrs fat cap up, I did a 10# last week Bludawg style and it was probe tender at a little over 6.5hrs.
Thinking really hard about purchasing a 270 Sumo this fall, if you could give a review that would be great.

Congrats on the new smoker.

Last edited:
I have had my standard for a while now and still can not get it to lock in without putting water in it, especially if you do not have anything in it, I was trying to just burn some charcoal to see how long it would take to come up to temp and where it would settle, any suggestions?

I can never find Pork Belly, that looks really good Mark and I forgot to mention it looks like you got your Pit good and seasoned up :thumb:

Check your local costco. The two by my area have whole pork bellys for about $3-$4/lb

I bought my 270 Standard last Saturday and I'm excited to do my first cook around ten tonight for lunch time or early afternoon serving tomorrow. I am going to cook a 14 lb prime packer which I pre-separated and applied rub to yesterday. My method on my XL BGE is to cook at 270 or so with the point laying next to the flat until I get a good bark and then wrapping in parchment paper until I hit 203 IT or so.
My plan is to cook at close to 275 and I am guessing it ought to go 6-8 hours before I wrap and another 2-4 after that. I have seen Bludawg talk about his briskets being done in 5-6 hours total time at similar temps and I'm left scratching my head. My briskets on my BGE turn out moist. I just don't see how his can be done that quickly but I will worry about mine and not his. For those of you who have cooked larger briskets on a 270 smoker, does this sound about right?
I intend to snake my probe from my DigiQ down the chimney per the 270 manual and monitor ITs and like Aaron Franklin says, it is done when it's done. At about 190 I will check the meat for feel/flex and probe for the sliding sensation rather than just absolutely going for 203. I am just wondering if I am way off on the anticipated cook time with the 270.
At around 8:00 am I will be adding three racks of ribs and two beef plates and I am sure opening the door here and there will set me back an hour of total time too.

Sorry Fsonicsmith I didnt see your question! How did the brisket turn out on the 270? Full packers are done for me in about 8 hours and thats with out any wrapping. I was very very surprise on how quick the 270 cooks the bigger cuts of meat. My temps vary from 250-275.

Back