Pizza on Vision Grills Pro-S series. How???

Strat

Found some matches.
I've tried and tried to make pizza on this thing and keep getting frustrated. I'm using a Lodge cast-iron pizza pan.

I put the heat deflector on the bottom of my Vision Grills, the regular rack, and then my Lodge on the rack itself. Cooking at 500 degrees or even less results in a completely black crust, the cheese is barely melted and the middle of the pizza is cold.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong and would need the experts here to tell me specifically how I should be doing this.

Should I ditch the cast-iron pan and get a regular pizza stone? Do I need a different rack? Is seasoning the stone needed? Do I instead put the deflector on the rack and the pizza stone on top of that?

I need some serious guidance. I've watched YT videos and still can't get the results everybody else seems to easily achieve. :(

I have an Akorn, I have done the pizza on a stone w/deflector at 550* dome 650* stone and the CI at 350* no deflector both produced good results for me.

edit: the pie on the CI was dep dish

I have an Akorn, I have done the pizza on a stone w/deflector at 550* dome 650* stone and the CI at 350* no deflector both produced good results for me.

edit: the pie on the CI was dep dish
Almost none of that makes sense to me. Dome, stone, CI? Please explain fully so I can understand what you mean.

Blackstone Oven my friend. The BS oven elevated my pizza game because of the consistency and the ease of use.

If you're still fixed on doing pizza on the Vision ditch the CI (Cast Iron)

I've got the same exact kamado with the original KJ stones and here's how I got decent pizzas

daMNP7Eh.jpg

If it was thin crust here's the set up to avoid burning the bottom. Pizza still went on the top stone

vRlLRqGh.jpg

VKOyUwoh.jpg

r6jYWwYh.jpg

B8dZ4iQh.jpg

gmyP12Gh.jpg

While I agree with ssv3 on the Blackstone, there's no reason you can't get fine pizza from your Vision Kamado(I have one too). I would ditch the cast iron pan and get a good pizza stone using the setup ssv3 describes. Also, a handheld infrared thermo is essential so you know where your stone temp is at. Finally, the reason the top of your pies are not getting cooked enough is that there may not be enough circulation in the kamado with your current setup, though that's a guess.

One trick to getting a Kamado up to temp fast is to completely remove the top vent from the cover - this creates a "vacuum" that helps feed the fire quickly.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure others will chime in with more feedback...

I 3rd the cast iron / definitely go with a stone and try to get the pizza as elevated as possible so the heat reflecting off the dome will be closer to the top of the pie. I have a vision and a primo and get really good results

Blackstone Oven my friend. The BS oven elevated my pizza game because of the consistency and the ease of use.
Although it looks cool, it doesn't look very different than making a pizza with our gas convection oven which is how we currently do it with great results every time. What are the differences, taste-wise, between using the VG and the BS? I'm quite concerned that I'd taste the propane that I see this device is fueled by and I definitely don't want that!

If you're still fixed on doing pizza on the Vision ditch the CI (Cast Iron)
Why is the CI bad? I've read recently that a pizza stone is the only way to go, but just wondering why.

I've got the same exact kamado with the original KJ stones and here's how I got decent pizzas
Interesting setup. Where did you get those metal devices to hold the stone and racks in place? Mine looks quite different.

Please look at the bottom of this post for pics of what I'm thinking of doing. Your input on the best option to go with is *greatly* appreciated!

While I agree with ssv3 on the Blackstone,
What is it about that oven that's better than a charcoal-based BBQ, taste-wise? I know it's probably easier to operate but just wondering about the taste differences. I'm quite concerned that I'd taste the propane that I see this device is fueled by and I definitely don't want that!

there's no reason you can't get fine pizza from your Vision Kamado(I have one too). I would ditch the cast iron pan and get a good pizza stone using the setup ssv3 describes. Also, a handheld infrared thermo is essential so you know where your stone temp is at. Finally, the reason the top of your pies are not getting cooked enough is that there may not be enough circulation in the kamado with your current setup, though that's a guess.

One trick to getting a Kamado up to temp fast is to completely remove the top vent from the cover - this creates a "vacuum" that helps feed the fire quickly.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure others will chime in with more feedback...
I'm using the 14" lava stone that came with my VG as a deflector. There seems to be a couple of inches of space between the edges of the bowl and the deflector. Seems there's enough air circulating to indirectly cook everything I throw at it but pizza. However, I wasn't elevating the pizza so I'll try that next using a 2nd rack add-on. (pictures on the bottom) Let me know what would likely work best.

Not all dough can hold up to high heat. Try a lower temp or a different dough and you might have better results.
Not a bad suggestion but we use our gas convection oven all the time to make pizza with fantastic and consisted results using the same dough at 550 degrees. 7 minutes and the pizza is done. That's why we're a bit perplexed as to why we can't pull the same thing on the BBQ... but now I see using the CI was a bad choice and that I also have to pull the parchment paper out after 1-2 min... and also need to use corn meal instead of white flour on the dough, etc. Bottom line ; I was clearly using the wrong tools and techniques.

I 3rd the cast iron / definitely go with a stone and try to get the pizza as elevated as possible so the heat reflecting off the dome will be closer to the top of the pie. I have a vision and a primo and get really good results
I use the lava stone as a deflector on the bottom with the X-brackets which came with the VG as show below.

DSC_0062-1.jpg

Here's a picture I found of how the 2nd rack extension will sit on the regular rack with a pizza stone on top and the deflector on the bottom as shown above like I'm planning to try next time. Is this the right way to go?

rig-spider-pizza-grill.jpg

Or is *this* the right way to go? This shows 2 deflectors being used as some people use them as pizza stones too but I'll be using a regular pizza stone on top. In this picture, there's a deflector on each rack instead of using a deflector at the bottom with the X-brackets as shown above.

post-4569-0-09100300-1423411060.jpg

Which one of those two ways would be better? Deflector at the bottom or on the 1st rack?

Last edited:
I set up my lava stone like you have on your 1st pic / and also use a pizza stone on the 2nd rack like you have in the last pic. I will say I don't try and cook pizza @ real high temps. I normally go around the 450-550 range.

Back